GROW YOUR CAREER WITH US
At Norwegian Cruise Line, we know our future success depends on our ability to attract and retain the very best talent. We are seeking individuals that are passionate about hospitality and being their personal best. We are a dedicated, passionate team, all driven by the spirit of determination and innovation and as you learn more about our company, we think you will agree that there is no better time than now to become a member of the Norwegian Cruise Line family. www.ncl.com
ABOUT NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE
Norwegian Cruise Line is the innovator in cruise travel with a 50-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising which revolutionized the industry by giving guests more freedom and flexibility to design their ideal cruise vacation. Norwegian operates a total of 14 purpose-built Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed, resort style cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea. Recently, the line was named “World’s Leading Large Ship Cruise Line" for the fourth consecutive year by the World Travel Awards. In the summer of 2017, we will launch our 15th ship, Norwegian Joy, sailing exclusively in China; https://www.ncl.com/norwegian-joy
*This job posting is for the Spring seasonal position with the estimated target assignment to be onboard from October 2018 through January 2019*
POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Seasonal Youth Counselor is under the direction of the Youth Program Manager. The Youth counselor is responsible for the supervision and control of all youth and teen activities as it relates to the Passenger Programs and Entertainment Department.
- Youth Counselors must be passionate about working with children and embrace the Norwegian Mission.
- As a member of the Cruise Staff, the youth counselors are responsible for implementing any of the scheduled social, entertainment, sporting, recreational, theatrical, and craft programs/activities for Norwegian Guests aged 2 – 17 years old while ensuring that each activity takes place safely and promptly as scheduled.
- He/she must be comfortable speaking on a microphone and be an effective Host/Hostess with the ability to engage large groups of people of a variety of ages in a public venue.
- He/she must be comfortable with dressing up in costume and performing character roles.
- He/she must be comfortable speaking with parents/adults regarding general ship information as well as Youth Program policies and guidelines.
- It is the responsibility of the youth counselor to be accessible to and approachable with guests, both young and old. He/she must be a patient listener and offer hospitality service to the guests even when the situation falls outside of the Youth Programs.
- Each youth counselor must have the ability to work as a team member in cooperation with other cruise staff members, as well as with all other shipboard departments.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of two years experience in a combination of programming and implementing youth recreation, youth sports, and/or childhood education for ages 2-17 required.
- Minimum one year experience in programming and implementing theatrical/drama related activities is required.
- One year experience with special needs programming strongly preferred.
- Intermediate verbal and writing skills in at least one other language such as German, Spanish, French or Italian is preferred.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) is required.
- One year experience communicating via microphone, using/programming DJ and light/sound equipment is preferred.
- Unique hobbies are a plus: to include but are not limited to: Juggling, Theater, Gymnastics, Sports, Dance, Singing.
- Bachelors Degree or foreign equivalent in a course of study related or relevant to childcare is preferred.
- Current and active CPR/First Aid Certifications from a recognized educational institution are required.
REQUIRED ABILITIES / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
- While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
- Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
- Able to pass basic safety course.
- This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
If you’re interested to be considered for this position, please click the blue APPLY button at the top of the page to get started.
THE NORWEGIAN FAMILY OF BRANDS
Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. is a diversified cruise operator of leading global cruise lines spanning market segments from contemporary to luxury under the brands Norwegian Cruise Line®, Oceania Cruises® and Regent Seven Seas Cruises®.
GET SOCIAL WITH US!
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is Norwegian Cruise Line's policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital or veteran status.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- Job type
- Miami, FL, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Contract duration