The Sales Merchandiser executes the merchandising of group, contract, business transient and/or extended stay sales opportunities by using Marriott’s sales information systems and technology. The Sales Merchandiser serves as the point of contact between customers, GSO Sales Managers/Directors and the properties. In this role, the Sales Merchandiser utilizes sales techniques to maximize revenue and build customer loyalty.
5 Months Maternity Cover: Successful candidate is required to start at the beginning of September 2018 and finish at the end of January 2019.
Education and Experience
· High School diploma or equivalent required.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Work, Projects and Policies
· Evaluate, qualify and respond to leads in a professional and timely manner. Majority of communication will be via telephone, email and SFAWeb|CI/TY. Leads and follow-up communication from hotels will be generated through SFAWeb|CI/TY.
· Act as the liaison between the customer and hotel(s) to present rate proposals, maximize or convert potential bookings, and close the sale.
· Generate contracts to finalize sales transactions.
· Ensure business is transitioned to designated property appropriately and in a timely manner for proper service.
· Provide service to customers to grow account share on behalf of MI, across the enterprise.
· Participate on project and account teams, executing activities that support strategic account management and team-based sales models.
· Join sales managers on sales calls, as appropriate.
· Provide sales program/event coordination (e.g. Hotel Excellence, sales missions, trade shows), reporting support, and/or general administrative support, as needed.
Maintaining Business Goals
· Establish and maintain complete and up-to-date lead response information in SFAWeb|CI/TY and alternate information systems to ensure accurate reporting.
· Assist with the closing of business opportunities to ensure team and departmental goals are met.
· Generate and organize sales reports utilizing internal data systems (e.g. SFAWeb|CI/TY, MRDW).
· Support operating budgets and venue targets to support the GSO business plan.
· Monitor and evaluate GSO office processes and procedures; recommend improvements as necessary.
Demonstrating and Applying Discipline/Functional Knowledge
· Use standard software applications such as MS Office, SFAWeb|CI/TY, MRDW, etc.
· Act decisively to recover from mistakes. Know how to develop/propose/initiate solutions and when to involve a leader.
· Act independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge.
Contributing to Teams
· Navigate the MI organization to achieve collaboration by leveraging relationships and knowledge.
· Identify and cultivate relationships with key colleagues and stakeholders in other parts of the organization.
· Work effectively in a virtual team-based environment.
· Prepare, edit and proofread written documents (e.g. daily logs, business letters, memoranda, reports, etc.) to ensure accuracy and completeness.
· Express oneself clearly, concisely and effectively through written and verbal communications.
· Approach opportunities with a positive, open-mind.
· Display creativity and innovation to identify opportunities to improve departmental processes and programs that will enhance team productivity and/or business results.
· Gain the confidence and trust of others through consistent demonstration of authenticity and ethical standards.
· Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
· Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanour - Exhibits behavioural styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents Marriott in alignment with its values.
· Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
· Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with Marriott's Spirit to Serve.
· Global Mindset - Supports associates and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures associates are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides support and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Personal Expertise
· Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
· Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
· Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities:
Ø Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
Ø Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
Ø Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
Ø Reading Comprehension – Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Ø Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Education and Experience
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the sales and marketing or related professional area.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 2 years experience in the sales and marketing or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Developing & Executing Sales and Marketing Strategies
• Develops sales goals and strategies and ensures alignment with the brand business strategy.
• Executes the sales strategy and ensures individual booking goals are met for both self and staff.
• Coaches leaders of revenue generating departments in developing effective revenue strategies and setting aggressive goals that will drive the property's financial performance.
• Ensures the development of a strategic account plan for the demand generators in the market.
• Determines and develops marketing communication activities, in conjunction with Regional Marketing Communications.
• Provides customer intelligence in evaluating the market and economic trends that may lead to changes in sales strategy to meet or exceed customer expectations.
• Reviews the STAR report, competitive shopping reports and uses other resources to maintain an awareness of each property’s market position.
• Researches competitor’s sales team strategies to identify ways to grow occupancy and RevPAR and increase market share.
• Attends sales strategy meetings to provide input on weekly and overall sales strategy.
• Suggests innovative marketing ideas and proactively develops deployment strategies to continue to grow market share for each property.
Maximizing Revenue & Managing Profitability
• Evaluates and supports market sales account deployment.
• Monitors and evaluates event booking and market sales performance for each property.
• Ensures Sales teams understands and are leveraging customer/guest demand engines to full potential.
• Ensures focus is on proactive selling as well as reactive selling.
• Participates in sales calls with members of the Sales and Marketing teams to acquire new business and/or close on business.
Managing Public Relations
• Develops strong community and public relations by ensuring property participation in local, regional and national tradeshows and client events.
• Identifies public relations opportunities and coordinates activities to augment the overall marketing communication strategy.
• Supports the General Managers by coordinating crisis communications.
Building Successful Relationships
• Develops strong partnerships with local organizations to further increase brand/product awareness.
• Develops and manages internal key stakeholder relationships.
• Serves as the sales contact for the General Managers, property leadership teams, event booking, and market sales leaders.
• Serves as the property sales liaison with market sales/cluster sales, Event Booking, Revenue Management, Event Management, Regional Marketing Communications and other property departments as appropriate.
• Serves as property authority on sales processes and sales contracts.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Serves as the sales contact for customers; serves as the customer advocate.
• Participates in and practices daily service basics of the brand.
• Executes exemplary customer/guest service to drive customer/guest satisfaction and loyalty by assisting the customer/guest and ensuring their satisfaction before and during their program/event.
• Serves the customer by understanding their needs and recommending the appropriate features and services that best meet their needs and exceed their expectations, while building a relationship and loyalty to the property and the brand.
• Gains understanding of each property’s primary target customer and service expectations; serves the customer by understanding their business, business issues and concerns, to offer better business solution both prior to, and during the program/event.
• Executes and supports Customer Service Standards and property’s Brand Standards.
• Works with Human Resources, Engineering and Loss Prevention to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and/or union requirements.
• Executes and supports the operational aspects of business booked (e.g., generating proposal, writing contract, customer correspondence).
- Job type
- Brussels, Belgium
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- 5 months