A global tribe of individuals, partners and progressives, devoted to creating extraordinary experiences for our community throughout our proprietary brands - we are sbe .
Visionaries at the forefront of hospitality, cuisine, design, residences and entertainment, our lifestyle moments are forged with highly-curated and passionate service.
We are committed to authenticity, sophistication, mastery and innovation.
Our stage is the world. Our time is now.
With this in mind, we foster a family environment built on values that describe our lifestyle, experiences and how we see the world. When you have a tribe such as ours and place it in and around the collection of accommodations, restaurants and nightlife, you create a force that cannot be replicated by anyone else. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Chef - Katsuya
Chef Position Summary:
As the Chef you will be responsible for cooking and overseeing food preparation, ordering supplies to maintain a fully-stocked kitchen, scheduling shifts, monitoring inventory levels, and complying with safety and cleanliness standards. To be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have proven culinary and management experience. In addition to being an excellent communicator, you should also demonstrate outstanding leadership and organizational abilities. The Chef will guide the team to deliver quality food on time. Ultimately, they will ensure all plates are properly cooked, served, and packaged to meet and exceed guest expectations.
Duties & Functions
- Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related systems
- Role models company quality standards and service
- Constantly growing and coaching lower management and line level staff
- Provides clear direction and achievable goals for their entire team
- Current with culinary concepts, practices and procedures
- Ability to estimate food consumption and requisition or purchase food
- Will select and develop recipes; standardize production recipes to ensure consistent quality and establish presentation technique and quality standards
- Supervises and carries out the correct procedure of preparation, presentation and portion control for all raw and cooked foods in accordance with the menu with adequate pars required for efficient service
- Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced- daily line checks and quality control
- Establishes result oriented objectives for the kitchen as well as personal objectives in regards to professional development
- Ensures the profitability and successful operation of the kitchen
- Controls direct labor costs associated with the kitchen staff-creates weekly schedules, ensuring productivity levels are maximized through the effective utilization of all colleagues and providing hands-on support as required
- Plan and price menus
- Ensure proper equipment operation and maintenance
- Ensure proper safety and sanitation in kitchen
- Must be able to prepare selected items or for selected occasions
- Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints
- Fully supportive of and cognizant of all Corporate Programs
- Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent high quality product is produced
- Assists the Regional/Corporate Chef wit menu planning
- Accountable for overall success of the culinary operations
- Optimizes profitability levels through consistent monitoring of venue inventory, food cost controls and strategic promotional initiatives
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to provide clear direction to the venue teams.
- Communicate with employees using a positive and clear speaking voice, listen to and understand requests, respond with appropriate actions and provide accurate information.
- Remain calm and alert, especially during emergency situations and/or heavy restaurant activity, serving as a role model for team and other employees. Interact with other department personnel and venue staff as needed.
- Make decisions and take actions based on previous experience and good judgment, sometimes revising procedures to accommodate unusual situations.
- Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancement measures within your scope of responsibility.
To be aware of and ensure constant compliance with all necessary operational policies including:
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene
- Emergency Procedures
- Liquor Licensing
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Attend mandatory meetings including divisional meetings, staff meetings, etc.
- Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of sbe are met.
- Utilize traditional software programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Micros, ADP, Open Table and any departmental specific systems used.
- Keep work area clean and organized.
- Ensure confidential documents are kept in a secured area.
- When disposing confidential documents that contain any personally identifiable information, they must be shredded or pulverized.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Ownership or Corporate Offices.
- Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics, which inspire Team Members to meet and exceed standards.
- Ensure that all staff follows and are in compliance with sbe’s policies and procedures.
Assimilate into sbe’s culture through understanding, supporting and participating in all sbe elements. Demonstrate working knowledge of the service standards.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by sbe from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the property.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Considerable skill in math and algebraic equations using percentages.
- Ability to walk, stand, and/or bend continuously to perform essential job functions.
- Exceptionally strong ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing, with guests and employees, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy to defuse anger and to collect accurate information and to resolve problems.
- Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
- Ability to access and accurately input information using a moderately complex computer system.
- Proficient in Windows Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.
- Dynamic, proven leader demonstrating entrepreneurial spirit, innovative thinking, change leadership and focus on coaching and team motivation.
- Experience managing luxury brands.
- Must be innovative, organized, efficient and able to prioritize multiple projects while working with a team
- Exceptional interpersonal skills required, must be able to present self professionally at all times
- Must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of an organization
- Strong work ethic and self-starter who is a team player and comes with a can-do attitude
- Ability to implement and maintain quality and service standards to produce a consistent product.
- Improve and promote quality and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Problem-solving ability. Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gather and analyze information skillfully
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required when performing work duties that may have the potential of risk to your health or safety. The restaurant will provide the required PPE. Team members will be trained in the proper use and care of any assigned PPE. It is your responsibility to report defective, damaged or lost PPE, or equipment that does not fit properly, to your Manager.
Requires ability to lift large and heavy packages and boxes and to the ability to load and unload small and large boxes as needed. Must have ability to safely lift minimum of 50 lbs. without assistance and to push and pull up to 150 lbs. with appropriate equipment.
Culinary Arts or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Strong knowledge of food safety and sanitation. Must be Servsafe certified.
At least 5 or more years of Culinary experience in a supervisory role in a restaurant kitchen, Chef de Cuisine or Sous Chef level, preferably in an upscale or lifestyle brand hotel.
Strong financial, budgetary, and cost control practices.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance. Specific uniform guidelines and/or required articles of clothing will be explained to you as a part of the orientation process.
Additional language ability preferred.