Duties & Functions
- Maintain constant quality control of all food prepared and ensure it is to the Chef De Cuisine and Bazaar standards
- Assign, in detail, specific duties to all employees for efficient operation of the kitchen
- Supervise the seamless running of the Pastry Department and staff
- Ensure smooth and efficient service and production of food from the department
- Ensure all department staff work hygienically and productively
- Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner
- Ensure that all food production and operation adheres to standards
- Develop new pastry, dessert, and bread recipes.
- Often determines how the dessert course will be displayed and presented on the plate, including what sauces and garnishes to include.
- Ensure efficient and accurate use of produce and equipment in and around the kitchen
- Understand the operational set up and principle of the Restaurant
- Oversee all aspects of the daily operation of the kitchen and food production areas
- Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management
- Assist in proper training and direction of departmental assistants in compliance with company standards of quality, specifications, portion control, recipes, employee relations, sanitation, etc
- Ability to work under demanding and strenuous situations
- Maintain knowledge of all menus within the hotel
- Analyze the Katsuya dessert program by identifying the top and bottom sellers. Recommend changes as necessary
- Prepare recipe cards, costing sheets and order guides for all dessert items using Katsuya templates
- Set production par levels that are appropriate to business levels
- Create training materials for all dessert menu items
- Train pastry cooks on dessert prep and plating
- Create a brand appropriate Sorbet & Ice cream program
- Create two new brand appropriate plated desserts per year for the Katsuya Miami catalog
To be aware of and ensure constant compliance with all necessary operational policies including:
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to provide clear direction to the venue teams.
- Communicate with employees using a positive and clear speaking voice, listen to and understand requests, respond with appropriate actions and provide accurate information.
- Remain calm and alert, especially during emergency situations and/or heavy restaurant activity, serving as a role model for team and other employees. Interact with other department personnel and venue staff as needed.
- Make decisions and take actions based on previous experience and good judgment, sometimes revising procedures to accommodate unusual situations.
- Develop and implement cost saving and profit enhancement measures within your scope of responsibility.
- Health and Safety
- Food Hygiene
- Emergency Procedures
- Liquor Licensing
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company.
- Attend mandatory meetings including divisional meetings, staff meetings, etc.
- Participate in community events and ensure corporate social responsibility goals of sbe are met.
- Utilize traditional software programs such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Micros, ADP, Open Table and any departmental specific systems used.
- Keep work area clean and organized.
- Ensure confidential documents are kept in a secured area.
- When disposing confidential documents that contain any personally identifiable information, they must be shredded or pulverized.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Ownership or Corporate Offices.
- Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics, which inspire Team Members to meet and exceed standards.
- Ensure that all staff follows and are in compliance with sbe’s policies and procedures.