Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Director, Field Marketing supports hotels in generating profitable revenue to increase RevPAR, market share, and brand awareness by fully leveraging marketing programs at the property and market level, and by ensuring that marketing efforts are effectively directed to the consumer. The Director, Field Marketing will support each hotel’s Director of Sales and Marketing efforts to understand and apply consumer insights into hotel marketing plans and deliverables, confirm that marketing activities are aligned with the hotel’s business plan and need times, maximize efficiency of hotel marketing spend, and develop co-op campaigns. This position will also closely partner with the Area Director, Field Marketing, Greater China to ensure that the vision is applied in Greater China, as well as to ensure that property programming is aligned with brand standards, brand voice and fully utilizes all available tools and resources. Key accountability areas include: (1) developing and implementing market-based strategic plans based on local need-time and demand generation opportunities. driving cluster area initiatives (2) executing and ensuring pull through of regional marketing programs, suggest and deploy right channels and platforms 3) train up area marcoms;4) provide communications guidance to property team, including issue management and other media activities organization.
Education and Experience
College degree in hospitality management or marketing preferred.
8 years of marketing experience demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance (hospitality industry preferred).
Experience leading a team.
Experience in corporate marketing communications, advertising agency, or e-marketing agency.
1-3 years internet marketing experience, including awareness of search engines and web optimization tactics.Skills and Competencies
Ability to work autonomously given geographic and time separation from the Area Director, Field Marketing Greater China.
Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful marketing strategies for individual properties, including specialized amenities such as golf or spas.
Demonstrated ability to maintain and grow business of complex hotels with effective marketing plans and programs.
Proven track record of excelling in property marketing role and providing consistent high level marketing leadership.
Demonstrated ability to use standard software applications (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, on-line database applications, internet).
Excellent relationship management and negotiation skills; demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with senior leaders (e.g. GMs, Sales and Revenue Leaders, Regional Team, media representatives) and external agencies.
Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
Able to effectively prioritize multiple tasks for multiple stakeholders.
Capable of listening and counseling stakeholders on best approach, including what non-value add efforts to drop.
Deep knowledge of leisure, group, and business transient hospitality business in defined market(s).
Knowledge of hotel sales and operations and associated challenges from the marketing perspective.
Knowledge of food and beverage marketing trends.
Knowledge of need time strategy as developed by Revenue Management.
Understands how to apply and leverage corporate marketing programs, platforms, and tools.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Develops and implements market-based strategic plans based on local need-time and demand generation opportunities.
Reviews and collaborates on marketing elements of hotel business plans; Understands and applies regional consumer insights into hotel business plan.
Confirms defined marketing activities are appropriate to achieve desired hotel business objectives; Guides local property marketing spend to ensure maximum productivity/ROI and brand identity/marketing communications standards adherence and to eliminate non-value added expenditures.
Incorporates global brand marketing objectives into the hotel plans, when appropriate (i.e. brand voice, participation in any required global brand marketing activities).
Analyzes and directs property decision on marketing channel mix; makes recommendations to the Regional VP of Sales and Marketing and the hotel Director of Sales and Marketing.
Selectively attends hotel strategy planning meetings with strategic agency.Partner with area digital service team to drive property presence/performance on fliggy storefront and actively participate in big marketing campaigns on fliggy.Leads and executes pull through of marketing programs, channels, platforms and initiatives.
Develops and executes integrated marketing campaigns (e.g. print, banner ads, email, hotel website), using best practices and in alignment with brand identity.partner with area digital counterpart for online initiatives.
Identifies opportunities to plan multi-hotel promotional marketing activities. Works with revenue management partner to develop relevant promotions and packages.
Ensures corporate, and/or regional marketing programs are pulled through at the property level; Supports deployment of new marketing and initiatives.
Ensures hotels within a geographically defined cluster are correctly positioned relative to each other.
Coordinates with AVP, hotel General Managers, area Sales and Revenue leaders with marketing program details; updates hotels on the status of programs ensuring follow-through and property “buy in” on customer service needs.
Activates loyalty programs at the area level and help hotels with loyaltystrategy.Additional Key Contributions
Acts as a marketing subject matter expert for GMs, Sales Leaders and Managers, and Revenue leaders.
Builds and maintain close relationships with other continent-based marketing professionals, GMs, Sales Leaders, and Revenue Leaders.
Maintains accurate and up-to-date area marketing initiative, tracking, and budget data/reports using project management system.
Measures and reports success of area /property marketing performance to stakeholders using relevant tools.
Applies insights to future marketing activities.
- Adaptability - Maintains performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Participates as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
- Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Creative Expression - The ability to generate novel ideas or strategies, and to communicate them with unusual, clever, or novel methods that captivate and influence others.
- Marketing - The ability to generate the strategy used in sales techniques, communications, and business development to positively impact customer relationships and business profitability
- Internet/Intranet/Extranet Design - Knowledge of web and digital fundamentals, including web and digital design principles and approaches, the impact of various technical design choices, and their impact on the user experience.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
- Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Shanghai, China
- Sales & Marketing
- Starting in
- As soon as possible