Shangri-La hotel, Toronto
Prepare culinary items to the highest standards of food production, quality, taste, presentation and hygiene within the hotel; maximizing Colleague, Guest and Owner satisfaction.
- With high integrity, ensure that guests experience the highest quality 5 diamond/5 star culinary standards.
- Interact with colleagues as internal customers, strategic partners in delivering Shangri-La hospitality from caring people according to brand service deliverables.
- Demonstrate creativity, personal commitment to service excellence and an emotional sense of gracious hospitality.
- Ensures that food quality and standards are maintained at all times when preparing for restaurant and banquet functions.
- As a true service Ambassador, meet service expectations proactively, promptly, professionally, with genuine care to attention and detail.
- Consistently prepare culinary items according to established recipes and demonstrate thorough knowledge of food preparation, presentation and service techniques.
- Maintain cleanliness of all kitchen and prep areas, strict adherence to Food Safe, HACCP programs and professional grooming/personal hygiene standards.
- Practice economy where food, paper supplies, electricity and water are concerned and maintain strict control on food portioning and wastage.
- Participate in departmental training initiatives and stay current on international food trends and industry practices.
- Ensures compliance to all hotel policies, standards and core practices.
- Maintains positive internal and external relationships, professional, friendly attitude towards guests and colleagues.
- Actively demonstrate teamwork, safe work practices, open communication, accuracy in transactions, respect, sincerity, helpfulness, courtesy and humility.
- Undertake other ad hoc related responsibilities, as required.
The following is considered mandatory for this position:
- Drive and passion – Passion for food, takes personal pride in culinary profession and strives to exceed expectations for culinary excellence.
- Technical competency - Demonstrated culinary competence, professional knowledge of cooking techniques, ingredients, procedures and presentation, use of kitchen tools and understanding of international fine dining, wine and service standards.
- Customer service – People oriented with ability to put guest needs first and ‘internal customers’ (i.e. Servers) are considered strategic partners.
- Communication –100% fluency in verbal and written English.
- Decision making- Able to prioritize, making prompt and reasonable decisions.
- Problem solving –Adept at juggling multiple needs, calmly, respectfully, creatively and successfully resolve problems, as required.
- Emotional maturity – Interacts with others in a respectful manner, with demonstrated qualities of sincerity, helpfulness, courtesy and humility.
- Safety Focus – Demonstrates safe work practices.
- Ethical conduct and responsibility – Fulfills responsibilities with the highest integrity, ethics and professionalism.
- Physical Requirements – Constant lifting, pushing and pulling as well as excessive walking, standing, reaching and bending.
- Technology proficiency– Operates all departmental equipment.
Shangri-La hotel, Toronto is compliant with its obligations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and will provide reasonable accommodation in the application and interview process for this position upon request.
- Minimum 2 years culinary experience in world-class hotel.
- Previous Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts experience useful, or comparable experience with key competitor.
- City of Toronto Food Handler’s Certification required.
- Apprenticeship or college level accreditation, Red Seal certification or underway.
- Must be able to work a variety of shifts and required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Job type
- Part-time job
- Downtown, Toronto, Canada
- F&B other
- Starting in
- As soon as possible