ARE YOU HAPPY WITH OK?
It takes a special kind of person to work at Shangri-La:
someone with an eye for details and the skills to perform;
someone with an attitude to deliver and a passion to delight.
Are you Shangri-La?
Purpose of the role:
We are currently seeking a Director of Public Relations - Europe, to be based at the Shangri-La Regional Office in London, UK. The role of the Director of Public Relations - Europe is to position, promote and enhance awareness of the Shangri-La brand as one of the world’s finest hotel groups. Under the direction of the head of Corporate Communications, the DOPR-Europe is responsible for successfully developing and implementing corporate and brand public relations programmes in Europe, with a special focus on the U.K. and Ireland.The DOPR-Europe develops and implements a PR strategy that supports the Group’s business goals in the U.K and European markets. You will work closely with marketing colleagues and senior executives in the region to create integrated communications campaigns that promote Shangri-La across print, broadcast, social and digital media channels. The DOPR-Europe is also responsible for providing strategic counsel to the group’s European properties as well as pre-opening properties.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop and implement annual public relations plan for assigned geographic markets, crafting compelling PR campaigns that address business objectives, brand positioning and key messages and encompass media relations, blogger relations, creative partnerships and high-impact events.
• Bring Shangri-La publicity to higher level in terms of story depth, caliber and prestige given significant property openings in key consumer destinations within the region.
• Effectively publicise group initiatives and announcements in the market.
• Support new hotels on developing and executing pre-opening and opening PR strategies and plans targeted to the European market.
• Provide strategic direction and coordinate activities of Europe DOCs/CMs to elevate brand awareness within the regions.
• Work with all hotel DOCs to generate news and story angles designed to attract assigned region’s media interest and maximise publicity from on-property journalist visitations.
• Maintain and prioritise a detailed media and KOL/blogger account management system for each major geographic market encompassing:
- Press contacts
- Targeted press release distribution
- Ongoing review of media opportunities and needs
- Distribution of feature material
- Effective publicity control
- Organise group and individual press trips
• Maintain a high degree of one-on-one media interactions and personal contacts in the UK and selected cities in Europe.
• Support all aspects of corporate public relations including the writing of selected press releases and, when appropriate and of group benefit, assist individual properties with news releases for exposure to the European market.
• Act as official spokesperson within Europe when required.
• Supervise the organisation of interviews/meetings/press conferences/and individual hotel launches when appropriate.
• Oversee the execution and organisation of press trips from the market, press interviews, meetings and press conferences as needed.
• Provide corporate PR assistance to new hotel projects in Europe, e.g. for management agreement signings / ground-breaking ceremonies, and to focus hotels.
• Manage relevant strategic partnership activations and special events with a focus on press coverage.
• Ability to analyse brand visibility and positioning in region’s markets and subsequently develop and execute strategic plans to accomplish PR and business objectives.
• Can assess, analyse and recommend action on media inquiries with insight and sophistication.
• Demonstrated ability to vet, select and supervise outside PR agencies and suppliers to deliver upon expectations.
• Ability to produce annual budgets accurately and in timely manner, manage and control costs.
• Develop metrics and processes to measure PR impact and sentiment.
• Establish collaborative relationships with marketing colleagues and senior leaders as well as hotel general managers and communications teams.
• Maintain frequent contact with the corporate office in Hong Kong and submit monthly and/or quarterly reports.
• The Candidate must be an established PR expert and leader with more than 10 years of public relations experience, a proven track record of success and previous experience working in the travel and/or luxury lifestyle space. He or she will have exceptional written and verbal skills and be able to summarize, clarify and communicate ideas simply and accurately. This person must be strategic, collaborative and highly results driven and have a good understanding of consumer trends and the new media landscape. BA/BS degree, agency experience and travel required.
• Formal training in Public Relations, a university degree or equivalent experience in public relations, communications, journalism and/or marketing.
• Creative, positive, and high-energy individual with hands-on mentality.
• Crisis communications experience.
• Conversational fluency in European language(s).
- Job type
- United Kingdom
- Starting in
- As soon as possible