This role will be a key leader in the shared services accounting group by overseeing a range of accounting and finance functions across the enterprise with a focus on park operations. The Operations Accounting Manager will work closely with both the shared services team, corporate stakeholders and key park operational and finance leadership to facilitate and help build a cross-functional culture of stewardship, urgency, technological efficiency, and effective internal controls. The individual must also be able to train and develop high-caliber team members as well as ensure core functions are completed efficiently and timely in a fast paced, evolving environment. The desired candidate should be able to create, communicate and execute process improvements with minimal supervision. This position reports directly to the Director of Shared Services and provides high visibility to Six Flags Finance leadership.
- Provides leadership to accounting department on park-related projects and directs team to complete them successfully, including project planning and management status reporting, as well as systems specifications, automation, configurations, implementation and testing.
- Champions the ability to listen accurately to stakeholder needs and concerns and create an actionable response by utilizing strong business acumen and building consensus.
- Develops park focused technology strategies and provides vision and direction to staff, works as a strategic partner to the Director of Accounting and as a park operations liaison to the Shared Services Accounting Manager.
- Ensures system compliance with internal controls in an automated and technology-forward environment.
- Holds strong competency in COSO & SOX 404 requirements for financial internal controls. Tasked with monitoring and reviewing existing internal controls as well as recommending amendments or additions to the organization’s internal control framework where necessary.
- Holds active role with key stakeholders to meet business needs in the organization and effectively communicate with leadership across the enterprise.
- Creates efficient reporting for management to determine the effectiveness of solutions implemented.
- Leads automation efforts in the accounting department for process efficiency and performs re-tooling of processes to meet the changing business environment.
- Drives accuracy and reliability in an automated system by ensuring automated and IT-dependent general journal entry records are complete and accurate.
- Provides strategic leadership in coordinating key points-of-contact between the park level operational and finance leaders and corporate departmental stakeholders to ensure smooth communication and good execution of operational accounting tasks.
- Owns and updates where necessary the Activity Centers used by department leadership to manage and direct the business.
- Writes and runs reports as needed.
- Responsible for assisting Six Flags Financial leadership with developing relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and tracking performance against those metrics.
- Assists with the maintenance and analysis of financial data.
- Performs general ledger analysis of accounts on a regular basis.
- Responsible for the reconciliation and document retention of key park-level accounts managed by the shared service center.
- Coordinates the preparation of relevant general ledger book data for use by Tax Accounting in calculating property taxes and related accruals. Responsible to ensure such amounts are recorded each month.
- Audits general ledger data entries for accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinate with auditor schedules and be the primary point of contact for audit inquiries that relate to park operations financial records.
- Interface with other accounting department managers closely to ensure the monthly close process deadlines and key performance indicators are successfully achieved by the department.
- Holds a high degree of moral fortitude and instills a culture of stewardship, teamwork, communication, honesty and integrity, and transparency in financial reporting.
- Strong delegator and developer of talent. Leads by example in assisting team to define strategic and operational objectives and measures progress against key performance results; provides effective 1:1 mentorship.
- Performs other related administrative and technical duties as may be assigned or requested by immediate supervision.
Position Core Competencies
- Business Acumen (Business awareness, knowledge): showcases knowledge and understanding of business operations and functions, and the ability to align goals to support the business.
- Change Management (Change readiness, conflict management): Demonstrates support for innovation to improve effectiveness; initiates, sponsors and implements organizational change.
- Collaboration (Relationships, Team Interface): Establishes constructive relationships with key stakeholders and team members to meet mutual goals and objectives of the company. Empowers employees in the workplace and is an effective 1:1 mentor. Strong delegator and developer of finance talent.
- Communication (Verbal & Written): Utilizes verbal and written communications skills to express oneself clearly and effectively in conversations and interactions with others.
- Workflow Management (Initiative, productivity, results orientation): Demonstrates an ability to plan, schedule, direct work of self and others and provide follow up to ensure quality standards. Sets high and clearly defined goals for the team.
- Problem Solving (Analytical, Creative): Makes sound, well-informed and objective decisions.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related discipline and a minimum of 5 years of progressive accounting experience and 2 years of management experience is required. CPA is recommended. Masters of Accountancy or related discipline is recommended. The applicant must hold a working knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, be detail oriented, possess good math aptitude, and be able to work in a teaming environment. The ability to interface effectively with employees at all levels of the organization is an important requirement.
Discretion and trustworthiness, and the ability to keep all Company information and materials strictly confidential (both internally and externally) are essential elements of this position.
Must be well organized, diligent, and be a self-starter with the ability to work with minimal supervision and to independently identify work to be done. Must be flexible and have the ability to adjust to sudden changes in work priorities. The applicant must also have the ability to prioritize work generally and in order to accommodate those changes. Attention to detail and extreme care in performing tasks accurately and carefully are also essential.