The Culinary Director Chinese operations, Greater China is responsible to ensure locally and brand appropriate “pull through” of culinary programs, processes, and initiatives for the Asia Pacific continent.
Specific areas of focus include Chinese operations related F&B Kitchen concept development, review of back of house plans, operations support, working effectively with property management teams, technical training, quality assurance oversight, food safety, improving food quality, providing expertise for pre-openings and hotel conversions, and translating culinary concepts into creative realities. This position will be a key member of the Operations leadership team for the Asia Pacific continent, based in Guangzhou
Education and Experience
· College degree in Hotel Management, Hospitality Management, or Culinary Science or Graduation from a Culinary Apprenticeship System or a Technical Culinary School or Equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is required
· Culinary society certification preferred
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES FOCUSED ON CHINESE OPERATIONS
· Assists developing operating strategies that is aligned with the continent’s business strategy and leads its execution.
· Supervises food and beverage operation and ensures compliance with all policies, standards and procedures.
· Supervises all Chinese culinary teams within Greater China to ensure that guestVoice, brand standards and financial objectives are met.
· Overseeing Chinese restaurants, Chinese banquet Operations and Chinese food offerings throughout the F&B operations within Greater China.
Developing and Maintaining Food and Beverage/ Culinary Goals
· Sets expectations and holds culinary leadership team accountable for demonstrating desired service behaviors.
· Reviewing financial reports and statements and analyze how food and beverage is performing against budget.
· Makes recommendations in accordance with analytics of reports to increase performances
· Makes recommendations for funding of food and beverage projects in accordance with Greater China F&B strategy.
· Establishes SMART goals to guide culinary operation and performance and supports in any way possible.
Organizing and Managing Projects
· Organizes and managing the internal conferences.
· Initializes projects and communicating with all properties throughout Greater China.
· Works closely with Greater China Design development team
Leading Culinary Team
· Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
· Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
· Ensures that regular, on-going communication occurs in all areas of food and beverage (e.g., Advisory Board, ADOPS, and Chinese Operations).
· Visits properties regularly with solid executive summary of findings that properties can take actions against
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities, e.g. Workshops
· Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
· Assists in hiring culinary leadership team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
· Organizes Workshops in Greater China, covering Culinary, beverage, Restaurants and bars, Events and catering, Social Media and F&B priorities that are set by Continent office
· Liaises with properties for on-site pre-opening support in Greater China.
· Assists the countdown program and managing the task force for all new properties in Greater China.
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
· Talent Management - Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
Technical Acumen - Understands and utilizes professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges.
· Operations Program Design & Development-The ability to lead and/or contribute to establishing operational requirements using various inputs (e.g., market research, brand), develop content that translates to product and service specifications, such that programs can be executed in brand voice at the property level in an efficient & cost effective manner for the following disciplines: Culinary, Bar and Restaurant, Event Management, Rooms and Guest Experience, Retail and Spa, Engineering, and Procurement.
· Operations Execution-The ability to systemically implement, evaluate, and sustain operations programs to ensure that the products and services being executed deliver the intended benefits, create value, contribute to guest satisfaction, and meet the needs of the various stakeholders (guests, property staff, brand, CLS, etc.).
· Performance Monitoring-The ability to use available performance metrics to measure the effectiveness of the various operations disciplines, diagnose issues and make recommendations at the property, market, and/or brand-level.
Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
· Basic Computer Skills - Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
· Mathematical Reasoning - Adds, subtracts, multiplies, or divides quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
· Oral Comprehension - Listens to and understands information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
· Reading Comprehension - Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
· Writing - Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Job type
- Guangzhou, China
- F&B other
- Starting in
- As soon as possible