Inspiring Vitality Experiences One Heart at a Time
Made possible by Harry Weese’s visionary design, Swissôtel Chicago boasts “forever” views of the Chicago skyline, Navy Pier, and Lake Michigan. Our colleague culture is inspired by Vitality; united by a common goal to deliver heartfelt service, build meaningful relationships and lead quality lives. With incomparable event space, 662 newly renovated guest rooms and suites, a one of a kind penthouse ballroom and flawless food & beverage delivery, Swissôtel Chicago is the premiere hotel in Chicago for leisure and conference guests.
At Swissôtel Chicago, we put the emphasis on our people. We are extremely proud of our Vitality initiatives and offer a variety of wellness programs for our Colleagues, who – in turn – aspire to bring quality of life into our guests’ lives. Our goal is to provide a motivating and rewarding environment that attracts talented individuals who wish to develop their careers within a culture that values creativity and innovation in order to execute winning results aligned with our Vitality vision.
Scope of Position:
To lead the daily operations of the Engineering Department by ensuring the effective preventative maintenance of all hotel machinery, equipment, building and services. To provide cost effective and safe repairs to all physical assets and monitor and control the energy consumption of the property.
Essential Performance Functions:
- Develop comprehensive policies and procedure manual
- Devise and implement maintenance reporting procedures to be used by all departments
- Write and implement departmental "quality shop calls" in regards to guest satisfaction scores
- Establish contingency plans for interruption to services and essential equipment
- Establish an effective work order system
- Monitor trends in technology, evaluate possible implementation with the Hotel and disseminate this information to senior management
- Compile a comprehensive asset register
- Establish a maintenance strategy for all assets under the control of the Engineering Department
- Negotiate and establish service contracts based on agreed service levels with selected service providers and contractors against benchmarks
- Conduct regular inspections of hotel and equipment, public areas, back of the house areas and external areas to ensure the highest standards of maintenance are being followed
- Compile audits and reports documenting Engineering activities as they relate to maintenance
- Ensure the maintenance testing and certification of essential services to comply with all statutory requirements
- Monitoring, recording and graphing of energy to establish benchmarks in reducing energy consumption
- Formulation of an Engineering Stores inventory and stock keeping system. Maintenance of adequate spare parts and stock at cost effective levels
- Preparation and submission to Financial Controller of month end reports
- Obtain competitive quotations for Engineering Purchase Orders, and placement of orders subsequent to specifications
- Establish an effective deliveries and invoice processing system
- Develop, implement and review Training Programs, such as PIP program, covering both formal and informal training for members of the Engineering Department and other team members requiring cross training
- Conduct performance appraisals for Engineering colleagues
- Ensure effective communication and response with all other management and team members
- Establish effective business providers, suppliers and contractors
- Assist all other Departments with the operation of their respective activities as required
- To follow the Hotel set safety standards, and adhere to all rules and regulations as set out by the Occupational Health and Safety Act and to take reasonable care at work so as not to put self or others at unnecessary risk
- Perform any other duties as assigned by his/her supervisor
We are searching for a talented individual with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, who is able to display a quality in life and work in a dynamic environment. In addition, the candidate should possess:
- Associates Degree
- Engineering License
- Completion of an approved stationary engineer apprentice program; or other qualified training program; required
- Safety Training: OSHA 10 and 30 hour current in last 12 months
- Lock Out Tag Out Hazardous Energy Control Training and Confined Space Training; required and current in last 12 months
Previous experience as a Director of Engineering in a similar size property preferred
Minimum 5 years’ experience as Chief Engineer
Sound knowledge of budget management
Previous 4-star hotel experience highly preferred Highly motivated, organized, goal and results oriented individual who thrives under pressure
Proven ability to effectively lead, motivate and develop a team
Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrate strong communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of City of Chicago building codes
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Technical knowledge of computerized control and building automation software and systems required
- Knowledge of general mechanical systems, specialty knowledge of boilers, electricity, plumbing, soldering, brazing, welding and HVAC controls required.
- Congeniality, competence, consistency and initiative
About Swissôtel Chicago's Community Outreach
Our colleagues are passionate about connecting to the world and to others. We extend this passion to our Chicago community through our partnership with SOS Children’s Villages Illinois, a family focused organization that strengthens broken families, brings education and provides a safe and positive environment for underprivileged children. What started as a fundraising campaign quickly evolved into a heart campaign, giving hope to children, who were once less-fortunate, and showing them that we are dedicated to providing a brighter future.
Famous for blues, jazz, comedy, shopping, and dining - Chicago is situated in the hub of the Midwest. Our picturesque skyline ascends the waters of huge Lake Michigan – a first impression that soon reveals world-class museums of art and science, miles of sandy beaches, huge parks and public art and perhaps the finest downtown collection of architecture in the world.
About Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts
Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts got its start in Switzerland, a country known for big mountains and equally high standards of living. Its contemporary Swiss style and locally inspired flair attracts business and leisure travelers who enjoy high-end hotels but prefer fresh innovation to stale pretension. Conveniently located where travelers want to be, Swissôtel provides guests with the opportunity to stay in the heart of city centers worldwide where access to business and shopping districts are right around the corner. Swissôtel properties can be found in over 30 well-located properties around the world, with many more in development.
As guests of the world, every Swissôtel upholds Swiss sustainability standards. In fact, Swissôtel has a mission: to treat guests, team members, and the environment with equal respect. Swissôtel is now part of AccorHotels, a world-leading travel & lifestyle group and digital innovator offering unique experiences in more than 4,000 hotels, resorts and residences around the globe. But no matter how international Swissôtel becomes, just like the country it was founded in, it remains a small hotel at heart.
- Job type
- Chicago Loop, Chicago, IL, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Contract duration