Executive Chef (full-time, permanent)
This inspirational position oversees a brigade of 120 culinarians and a team of 75 stewards, carrying significant influence and responsibility. We commenced a complete re-visioning of our Food and Beverage offerings in the past 4 years and the journey continues, with our largest renovation to date opening this May. With 4 of our 12 Food &Beverage venues still to be re-concepted and a scope of works for the repositioning of the conference center, our largest catering facility, your legacy awaits.
Hotel Overview: For 130 years, The Fairmont Banff Springs has built a distinct and iconic reputation. With 757 guest rooms, world-class golf and spa experiences, 78,000 square feet of expansive conference facilities, and one of the largest food & beverage operations in North America, our Castle in the Rockies is the place to ignite a brilliant career. This is a vibrant workplace with tremendous growth and mentorship opportunities; a place for colleagues who aspire to deliver amazing guest service, learn, grow and innovate.
The Rocky Mountain lifestyle doesn’t disappoint. Just a 1.5-hour drive from Calgary, Banff uniquely blends a community of hospitality enthusiasts, outdoor adventure seekers, artists, entertainers, and families alike. It’s all at your doorstep; this year-round, mountain culture offers work–life balance in one of Canada’s most spectacular destinations. Our welcoming community is cultural, and dynamic.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director, Food & Beverage, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Is a visionary with passion for culinary and industry trends to be a key driver in our ongoing venue renovations and concept development to ensure our offerings are that of market leaders
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of consistency in delivering food product quality, competitive food costs and ensuring the Food & Beverage direction aligns with the hotels vision and the brand vision for F&B 2020
- Maintains and grows the regional Culinary Apprenticeship program, and maintain the coaching and learning opportunities including our established presence at the Farmers Market in Banff. Is committed to developing internal talent
- Leads management team and colleagues by example and ensures the working environment is based upon trust, integrity and open communication. Consistently offers professional, engaging and friendly service
- Focuses on regional and sustainability by sourcing local products through the development of relationships with local farmers and vendors to ensure high quality products are utilized in keeping with the vision for an authentically local approach to our venues
- Leads the preparation of menus suitable to each area of food & beverage, focusing on quality, creativity, presentation, guest expectations and trends
- Controls culinary and stewarding colleague’s productivity/payroll within established criteria based on annual budgeted figures while utilizing Watson Payroll Management system
- Controls all food inventories while maintaining food cost which has been forecasted within the budgeted guidelines. Manages recipe costs through the use of Birchstreet purchasing system and the development and application of menu engineering principles in all areas of the operation
- Develop & oversee comprehensive action plans based on results from the Employee Engagement Survey
- Ensures all aspects of health and safety are maintained & exceeded according to Alberta Health Services and Ecosure standards
- Develop relationships outside the hotel with culinary institutions and with Banff Lake Louise Tourism vision to grow destination awareness in F&B
- Ensures that all kitchen equipment is in good working order and is properly maintained and utilized
- Available and motivated by media opportunities to assist in showcasing food & beverage and other hotel products and services
- Participates in budgeting, capital planning and all food and beverage planning
- Active participation in senior leadership activities and meeting
- Committed to sustainability
- Performs any and all other tasks which are assigned
- Minimum 10 years experience within all areas of culinary field including; previous experience as an Executive Chef in a well-established international multi-faceted, fast paced luxury environment
- Diploma/Degree in Hospitality or Culinary Management is required
- Must possess a Red Seal Certificate (Journeyperson’s papers) or recognized international equivalent
- Proven track record as an administrator, trainer and developer, and a team player with strong communication and organizational skills with all departments
- Proven abilities in attaining targets in all key measurements relating to financials, guest satisfaction, colleague engagement and standards compliance
- Demonstrated ability to build a strong team through recruitment, development and organization
- Strong leadership ability with specific strengths in quality production and innovative style
- Proven ability to achieve fiscal targets through implementation of inventory control logistics
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel applications
Wage Range: $150,000 to $175,000
Benefits: The Employee Benefits Program includes medical, dental and vision coverage, Employee Assistance Program, basic life insurance, short term disability insurance and mandatory employee paid long term disability insurance.
APPLY TODAY: Whether you're launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, we invite you to visit www.fairmontcareers.com to learn more about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts and the extraordinary opportunities that exist!
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resort we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That's why you'll find exceptional work opportunities - throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific - as well as industry - leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London's The Savoy, New York's The Plaza, and Shanghai's Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award - winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Banff, Canada
- Starting in
- As soon as possible