Junior Sous Chef (Pastry Bakeshop)
Work with our team of Pastry Chefs creating world class dining experiences for our guests. This is your opportunity to work in a Kitchen committed to preparing and serving the finest meals.
- Provide warm, friendly and engaging service
- Assist in quality control of products made with the Pastry Chef and Head Baker, determine formulas and ingredients used for daily production.
- Prepare daily production of fresh artisan breads, rolls, muffins and all other bakeshop items according to the standard recipe
- Ability to weigh, cut, roll, and shape doughs by hand
- Responsible for the Sourdough starters
- Inspect product for quality and consistency during and after baking
- Maintains consistency for all items leaving the Pastry and Bake Shop
- Assist with dessert menu development, implementation, maintains appropriate outlet and banquet recipes to implement these menus.
- Assigns workload to achieve maximum labor and dollar efficiency.
- Organize daily function sheets and effectively manage colleagues in their daily task.
- Produce daily production schedules for all colleagues.
- Assist in the training of Bakers, Pastry Cooks, and Apprentices.
- Assist in the establishment of standards of production.
- Assists in Pastry Department meetings, enforces company policies, rules, and regulations.
- Monitors sanitation procedures in the Pastry Kitchen.
- Ability to create specialty cakes and assist in showpiece construction.
- Monitors safety of the pastry operation and monitors unauthorized colleagues.
- Assist in the establishment of personal development of all pastry colleagues and provides guidance and direction.
- Assist in corrective disciplinary actions and documentation as needed.
- Reports maintenance problems of equipment and makes sure all equipment is in proper working order at all times.
- Completes daily temperate log books and insures FIFO of all received goods.
- Assist in the supervision of requisitioning and receiving of food to prevent stockpiling and losses due to spoilage.
- Directs the effective uses of all left over products and finished items.
- Being adaptable to work different shifts to support the team as the Pastry and Bake Shop is a 24 hour operation
- Commitment to the ongoing success of our Culinary Team
- Enforce a safe work environment for all colleagues and guests by upholding the Safety rules provided by the Fairmont Banff Springs and the Culinary Department
- Foster an environment of cooperation within the department, and between other departments within the hotel, encouraging participation and input from all colleagues, while promoting professional work habits that will ensure that the department is being guided at all times by Fairmont’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Other duties as assigned
- Red Seal Journeyman Certificate
- Safe Food Handling Certification
- Strong Skills in visual presentation of food, with a familiarity with contemporary serving styles.
- Experience with Recipe development and innovation
- High School diploma
- Has knowledge of how to work with Sugar, Chocolate, Marzipan, Wedding Cakes, and all Bakery aspects
- Knowledge of finishing methods and techniques.
- Basic celebration cake building and icing.
- Knowledge of various doughs.
- Has worked with laminated dough; Danish Dough, Croissant Dough, Puff Pastry, able to form Danish and croissants.
- Has the ability to understand Food Cost, and Labor Cost
- Has knowledge of commercial equipment such as Rational Ovens, Proofer, Dough Divider, and Scales
- Has extensive knowledge of banquet business
- Menu development, menu language, and interpretation
- Knowledge of Birchstreet purchasing systems
- Comfortable and knowledgeable about kitchen hazards
- Must have personal set of culinary/pastry tools required to perform one’s job
- WHMIS or similar training
- 2-4 years experience as a leader
- Experience with luxury hotel kitchens
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 30 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Work Environment – Humidity, dust, noise and fumes
Visa Requirements: Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. In the event no qualified Canadian applicants are found, the hotel may assist in obtaining work authorization
- Job type
- Fulltime job
- Banff, Canada
- Starting in
- As soon as possible