Executive Sous Chef, BanquetsWe are seeking an Executive Sous Chef with several years of strong Culinary Experience in a mid- to large hotel operation. Must be ready to effectively run a kitchen with a brigade of more than 100 as part of a Food and Beverage Operation with revenue exceeding $48 million per year. Should be creative, with a strong knowledge of industry trends with strong technical and organizational skills. Needs to be goal oriented, with an ability to implement comprehensive plans to accomplish those goals in a challenging, competitive environment.
Hotel Overview: Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Fairmont Royal York is within walking distance to the business and theatre districts and the city's best shopping and dining. Having hosted more than 40 million guests since it opened its doors in 1929, Fairmont Royal York continues to represent the epitome of hospitality. With 1365 guest rooms, 70,000 square feet in 34 conference and banquet rooms, and over 1200 colleagues, Fairmont Royal York depicts the elegance of its past while providing the finest conveniences for today's travellers.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Executive Chef, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the day to day operations of the Culinary Banquet Operation, ensures guest satisfaction in all Venues and all Banquet functions in the hotel.
- Assists the Executive Chef in managing the Performance of our Culinary Leaders
- Primary responsibility for Culinary Banquet department Scheduling and Forecasting in order to achieve budgeted labor cost results
- Liaises with Banquet Managers, Restaurant Managers, Stewarding and Conference Service Managers.
- Oversees a comprehensive and industry leading culinary apprenticeship program.
- Ensures that food is prepared according to standardized recipes and specifications to maintain consistency and ensure all quality standards and food cost standards are met.
- Keeping current with trends in the market, supporting F&B vision for hotel & brand
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum, ensures proper rotation, labeling, and storing of food in order to reduce food cost expense.
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with hotel and government Food Safety guidelines.
- Ensuring that the kitchen work area is clean, organized and that the equipment is functional
- Assists with recruiting and ensures that proper training and development of staff is performed
- Promoting teamwork within the kitchen and with all other departments, especially food and beverage service employees
- Responsible for the kitchen operation in the absence of the Executive Chef
- Responsible for ensuring every employee is working effectively and efficiently as well as improving employee morale and employee engagement.
- 8-10 Years cooking experience including high end high volume luxury hotel
- Red Seal Certificate (Journeyman’s papers) or Recognized International Equivalent Valid City of Toronto Food Handler Certificate required
- Must have experience and be proficient in both a la carte and production cooking
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience in a Unionized Culinary environment a definite advantage.
- Aspires to become an Executive Chef with Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
- Must be an effective supervisor, trainer, administrator and team player with strong leadership and organizational skills
- Must be innovative, detail oriented and quality conscious
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Constant kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Frequent ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
Visa Requirements: Must already be legally permitted to work in Canada.
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts believes in outstanding hospitality. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources at 416-860-4512 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodation.
APPLY TODAY: Whether you’re launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, we invite you to visit http://www.fairmontcareers.com/ to learn more about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts—and the extraordinary opportunities that exist!
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
- Job type
- Downtown, Toronto, Canada
- Starting in
- As soon as possible