Chef de Partie (full time)
Maintains the highest standards of food quality and presentation in workstation as directed by the Sous Chef on duty. Must have well-rounded knowledge of all areas of the kitchen including a la carte restaurant, and production areas of; banquets, garde manger, vegetable, butcher, soups, and sauce stations. Possesses strong leadership qualities and communication skills both written and verbal, able to supervise and train several individuals of varying skill levels. Works within the station in clean safe and efficient manner in accordance with the policy’s procedures and standards of the kitchen.
Hotel Overview: Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, The Fairmont Royal York is within walking distance to the business and theatre districts and the city's best shopping and dining. Having hosted more than 40 million guests since it opened its doors in 1929, The Fairmont Royal York continues to represent the epitome of hospitality. With 1365 guest rooms, 70,000 square feet in 34 conference and banquet rooms, and over 1200 colleagues, The Fairmont Royal York depicts the elegance of its past while providing the finest conveniences for today's travelers.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Sous Chef, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Review the days requirements with the Sous Chef
- Ensures the production of the food items in accordance with standards in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure that there is no interruption to guest service.
- Liaises with Banquet Managers, Conference Service Managers and Restaurant Managers as needed and answers telephone responding to questions as required when Sous Chef is not available.
- Actively participates in training of culinary skills to junior staff and apprentices
- Adhere to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistency and ensure all standards are met
- Keeps work station clean & organized including fridge/freezers, countertops, range tops
- Ensures that station opening and closing procedures are carried out to standard
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum, ensures proper rotation, labeling, and storing of food in order to reduce food cost expense.
- Operates all kitchen equipment and conduct themselves with safety in mind at all times
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with hotel and government Food Safety guidelines.
- Reports any and all deficiencies in kitchen equipment functionality and quality of food products
- Completes other job related duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Responsible for the day to day operations of assigned station
- Prepares lists of food products required for station for Sous Chef order and approval
- Red Seal Certificate (Journeyman’s papers) or Recognized International Equivalent
- Minimum 5 years cooking experience in a luxury hotel with comparable service and standards
- Experience in a luxury hotel with comparable service and standards an asset
- Valid City of Toronto Food Handler Certificate required
- Must have experience and be proficient in both a la carte and production cooking
- Previous supervisory experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Aspires to become a Sous Chef with Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
- Able to work a variety of shifts including weekends and holidays
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
Visa Requirements: Must already be legally permitted to work in Canada.
APPLY TODAY: Whether you’re launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, we invite you to visit http://www.fairmontcareers.com/ to learn more about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts—and the extraordinary opportunities that exist!
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts believes in outstanding hospitality. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources at 416-860-4512 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodation.
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
- Job type
- Downtown, Toronto, Canada
- Starting in
- As soon as possible