Pastry Sous Chef
Exceptional service and cuisine are hallmarks of the Fairmont Hotels & Resorts dining experience. As Pastry Sous Chef, the creativity and culinary skills you bring to the Pastry team will create spectacular desserts that bring a delectable end to every memorable meal.
- Trains and educates colleagues on highest of standards and international culinary techniques.
- Takes sound recommendations regarding promotions and transfers.
- Monitors performance levels of all team members and acts accordingly.
- Timely completion of all one-on-one meetings and performance reviews.
- Active involvement with our apprenticeship program including demonstrations and follow up with students.
- Maintains departmental standards as determined by the Executive Chef.
- Works closely with staff to ensure the high quality and consistency of food preparation and presentation.
- Ensures that the kitchen area is clean and the equipment is functional.
- Strive to advance his/her knowledge, skills and abilities and consistently share these with others.
- Promotes teamwork between the kitchen and all other departments.
- Participate in the seasonal revision of the pastry menus.
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance of labour and food cost controls.
- Creation of weekly work schedule for their area.
- Full communication and support with Executive Chef, Kitchen Coordinator and Sous Chefs
- Act as a role model to junior staff members by maintaining a professional work ethic and displaying sound cooking skills.
- To be Health & Safety conscious and actively involved in maintaining a safe work environment.
- Minimum of eight to ten years pastry experience in a similar high volume environment is required, restaurant dessert plating an asset. This will include all areas of the pastry function such as wedding cakes, baking, showpieces, yeast, French pastry and chocolate.
- Completion of Pastry Journeyman papers required.
- Must be highly resourceful and innovative, detail oriented, quality conscious and aware of contemporary trends in presentation and preparation.
- Must be an effective leader, manager, trainer, developer, administrator and team player with strong communication and organizational skills.
- Experience in a 4 or 5 star international large hotel or restaurant or a similar standard is required.
- A minimum of one year previous experience as a Pastry Chef or Assistant Pastry Chef is required.
- International experience and/or training is required.
- Completion of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts management courses is an asset.
- Experience with administration such as food cost, schedules, menu design and labour cost is an asset.
- Experience organizing off-site catering events is an asset.
- Previous experience teaching or doing demonstrations is an asset.
- Ontario Food Safe Certification is an asset.
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
Constant standing and walking throughout shift
Frequent lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
Constant kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting
Frequent ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramp
Visa Requirements: Must already be legally permitted to work in Canada
- Job type
- Downtown, Toronto, Canada
- Starting in
- As soon as possible