Position Title: Catering Event Manager
Reports to: Director of Catering
Supervises: Catering Coordinator
As a member of the award winning Catering Department of The Fairmont Washington, DC, the candidate must have a minimum of years catering manager or similar experience and a strong background in Catering and Event Management in both corporate and social markets. Experience in Menu and Décor Planning, Presentation Skills and the ability to work within an energetic, creative and innovative team is a requirement. The candidate is expected to exceed his or her yearly catering booking goal while also contributing to the overall successful achievement of the Catering Department Budget. As this is the “hospitality industry”, the manager must demonstrate an outgoing, friendly, collaborative and persuasive personality both to our clients and to fellow hotel colleagues at all times. Familiarity with the Washington diplomatic, social and corporate market is an asset as well as the social media channels that support these markets. Strong writing and verbal communication skills are a key asset to the position and allows the candidate to present his or herself and our hotel to a luxury clientele that requires exceptional service, creativity and follow through.
· Contracting, planning and coordination of meeting and banquet arrangements in the corporate and social (wedding, gala, bar mitzvah) catering market to ensure that obligations are exceeded by the hotel and exceed the client’s expectations. This is also applicable to corporate catering groups that hold guest room blocks of 10 rooms or less and larger wedding, gala and bar mitzvah related room blocks.
· Manager will achieve booking servicing goals and PACE goals through soliciting assigned market segments, handling and booking leads on assigned Inquiry Days and through creative networking, outside solicitation calls and activities and ongoing intelligence gathering from assigned market segments
· Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
a) Banquet menu selections
b) Meeting and Event design and set-up specifications
c) Electrical requests
d) Arrival/departure patterns
e) Outside vendor requirements and building relationships
f) Design and coordination of Props and decorations for functions
g) Additional equipment and/or services, if requested
h) Outlet expectations
i) Coordination and timely updating of all booking details in S&C sales management system
· Ensures satisfactory liaison between clients/guests and hotel department as well as high profile event and party planners and vendors. Supervises service and overall coordination of all arrangements on Beo’s and resumes in a timely manner.
· Responsible for timely distribution of precise catering requirements to all departments. BEO’s and resumes are due for the following week by 2:00pm on Tuesdays.
· Conducts internal meetings of all catering events at the daily BEO Review Meeting and individually when details require more in depth review.
· Provides immediate follow up after events and relates client compliments and concerns to all related departments, with follow up and resolution completed when needed
· “Up sells” all department services to include food and beverage, amenities and décor to increase food, beverage and miscellaneous revenue
· Charges meeting room rental for corporate bookings based on department guidelines.
· Works closely with other catering managers to increase overall product knowledge. Ongoing development of menu and décor trends through magazine, websites, and individual study.
· Coordinates guest room blocks and special guest room requirements for all catering groups and communicates all information to related departments in an efficient and results oriented manner. Use the Hotel’s S&C software program for all bookings and relation information based on established guidelines and procedures.
· Works closely with audiovisual company to ensure client’s AV needs are met both for equipment and lighting.
· Follows all deposit policies and coordinates payment of all event bills based on department procedures and works closely with Credit Manager to ensure proper billing.
· Posts attrition and meeting room rental charges within 48 hours when applicable and follows up on client opportunities and challenges within 24 hours.
· Establishes and maintains an excellent working relationship with all hotel departments in particular Culinary, Banquet, Audio Visual and Conference Services. Networks with Sales and Business Travel to maximize catering business development, function space, revenue and increase exposure to key accounts.
· Networks within the social and corporate community to establish relationships with clients, event planners, comp set catering managers and industry colleagues. These relationships are design to groom repeat bookings, comp set intelligence and networking. Presents his or herself as an individual that possesses strong social and etiquette skills, grooming and presentations skills that are representative of a luxury hotel in this competitive marketplace.
· Works closely with Catering Team, and provides creativity and support for the team and colleagues when needed. Always working toward improving the reputation of the Catering Team
· Attends Daily Revenue Max Meeting (8:30am), Monthly Marketing Meeting and Weekly Catering meeting and training given by Director of Catering and team members
· Assists Director of Catering in preparing own individual monthly forecasts by reviewing food, beverage and meeting room rental revenues for their groups.
· Assists Director of Catering in generating action plans, ideas and revenue for peak and need periods and completing weekly activity report which is reviewed in weekly One on One
· Attends continuing education training classes when given and continues to grow in knowledge of the industry through periodicals and related resources
· Participates in Lobby Duty program.
· Other projects and duties as assigned to develop business opportunities
· Minimum 3 years catering and event manager experience in a hotel or off premise catering/event company
· Strong culinary and beverage knowledge, event design and interest. “What are the trademarks of your events and what sets you apart from other people in this industry”
· Familiarity with social media channels that support social and corporate markets
· Familiarity with event design, creation and execution
· Excellent verbal and written skills for client presentations, proposals and communication
· Operational Food & Beverage experience in a Hotel environment mandatory
· Proven ability to plan and organize events effectively, with an acute sense of detail & creativity and repeat potential
· Assertive, professional and positive with a proven ability to develop and lead in a team environment
· Understanding of computers and applications with a strong working knowledge of Windows Delphi, MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Lanmark
· Must be able to work multi-task, work independently and maintain a positive attitude within a very busy environment ~ hours will fluctuate and evening and weekend work will be required. Basic Schedule is Monday – Friday from 8:30am – 5:30pm
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
· High School Diploma, College Diploma preferred
Visa Requirements: Must be able to provide or obtain work authorization in the United States APPLY TODAY: Whether you’re launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, we invite you to visit www.fairmontcareers.com to learn more about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts—and the extraordinary opportunities that exist! ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!
- Job type
- Northwest Washington, Washington, DC, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible