The position is a high-profile role with significant importance to the overall organization. This position will lead all strategic partnerships and alliances in Japan. This role will report to Senior Director, Enterprise Partnership & Cards, APAC and will work in close collaboration with the corporate office and leadership team within AP and Regional offices.
The strategic partnerships and alliances leader will lead the entire commercial partnership and travel marketplace strategy for the markets. Key focus areas will be:
Co-brand & points transfer partnerships
- Develop card and points transfer growth strategy for the market
- Research & identify the right value product benefits basis geographic opportunities for Marriott guests and members
- Lead business development and card negotiations in partnership with Corporate Business Development team
- Manage end-to-end launch of the products and points transfer partnerships
- Partner with the issuing banks, networks and corporate teams to own end to end card P&L
- Manage end-to-end marketing and branding of the products
- Directly manage KPI’s –financial performance and budgets of Japan cards and points transfer portfolio
- Jointly agree on Japann bank partner acquisition strategy including budgets, priorities and channel goals
- Partner with HQ to manage existing relationships with Chase, American Express & other global partnerships
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders across the organization. Fosters a positive climate to build effective teams that are committed to loyalty program goals and initiatives.
- Updates stakeholders on key initiative wins and opportunities, responds to concerns, and solicits feedback. Engages leadership to develop and execute action plans to address gaps.
- Assists direct reports with building and maintaining stakeholder relationships as business partnerships.
- Develop new partnership models with airlines in the market to drive profitability
- End to end responsibility of launching new airline partnership in the region
- Manage all airline partnerships (ops, legal, iT, finance, contact center, corporate office) for the market
- Support area and cross continent team to drive incremental revenue through airline partnerships
- Manage brand and portfolio marketing through airline partnership
Develop strategy to partners with key digital companies in the market
Manage end to end negotiation and launch of the partnership
Partner with corporate, cross-functional teams and continent team to develop new business model
Own the overall P&L responsivity of the partnership post launch
- Manage end to end network relationship in the market
Work closely with the cross-functional continent and corporate team to grow relationships
Manage all tactical marketing opportunities with respective banks
- Support global travel marketplace strategy
Identify and develop local travel marketplace partnerships
Manage end-to-end partnership management to grow the relationship
Own P&L and KPIs for travel marketplace in the market
Develop local redemption options for Marriott Bonvoy members in the market
Localization: Localize Marriott International’s award-winning loyalty program(s) through innovation partnerships, breakthrough communication strategy & activation
Acquisition: Expand the penetration of MI’s loyalty programs in the market through above property channels
Awareness: Drive visibility of all MI brands & loyalty program in the market
Engagement: Develop & execute the overall member engagement strategy to drive member experience, retention & in turn loyalty
Program delivery: This position will be responsible for driving the share of occupancy & the topline through partner channels
Innovation: Drive new product development to enrich MI loyalty programs and brands
- Degree from an accredited university in Business Administration or related area required. MBA or similar advanced degree a plus.
- 6-8 years of relevant professional experience in brand activation, media, promotions, partnership marketing, international consumer marketing, and/or field operations/marketing, demonstrating progressive career growth and pattern of exceptional performance.
- Partnership & Loyalty Marketing experience strongly preferred
- Strong bilingual communication skills – English
- Strong P&L management skills; Experience in managing co-brand P&L is preferred
- Experience in product development with tech knowledge required
- 5+ years in a marketing management position; international marketing experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to balance the interests and demands of multiple stakeholders
- International working experience strongly preferred
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
Build & execute the partner marketing strategy for the region:
Develop the strategy to expand the program reach in the market to drive both inbound & outbound travel from the market
Support all new hotel openings in the market through partner channels
Develop the strategy for driving inbound business to the market
Support the hotel teams to deliver seamless member experience
Develop & execute the marketing & communication strategy for the program(s)
Drive all topline initiatives to drive the portfolio
Management of partners and strategic relationships for Marriott International in Japan
Develop networks and strategic partnerships to help develop brand awareness, drive revenue growth, provide experiences for Member base
Implement partnership strategies to increase the reach and impact of our ongoing efforts in advancing the company’s marketing & business development activities
Collaborate with marketing, brand, communications sales team to support relationship development opportunities
Oversight and coordination of partnership execution; buzz marketing and Member Engagement
Work closely with the Marketing, Operations, and eCommerce teams to enhance and add partnerships that fit the needs of Members and key stakeholders in the market
Conceptualize new strategic initiatives/programs that to drive further alliances with external organizations with the goal of differentiating the Marriott brand, developing Member experiences, driving awareness to Marriott value proposition and products
Partnership Strategy & Infrastructure
Develop and manage reporting and financial tracking of strategic partnership activities
Develop and manage partner agreements
Deliver professional sales presentations to potential partner organizations with the ability to persuade and close business.
Provide timely and accurate reporting of pipeline, strategic partnerships and management activities.
Understand the competitive environment and the local customer attitudes / behaviors
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.