PURPOSE OF POSITION
Viking Cruises is one of the world’s leading cruise line company that manages a fleet of 72 river ships and 6 ocean ships (and growing) with offices across the globe. We have our Marketing and Sales headquarters based in Los Angeles, USA and the Operational Head Quarters based out of Basel, Switzerland.
The Business Solution team (within IT) plays an integral role in the strategy, architecture, design/acquisition, implementation and management of various business applications and software solutions to enable planning, efficient operation, automation and reporting needs of the company.
As a key member of the Business Solutions and IT Team, the Data Solutions Manager will provide solutions to our current data challenges and holds a key role in our technology modernization programs. S/He works on data technology and related innovation projects with a global reach and has a hands-on approach to understanding various data integration methods while paving the way for standards across the enterprise. The Data Solutions Manager reports to the Director Business Solutions. Starting date would be as soon as possible.
This role will be located in Basel, Switzerland. Please note that we can only accept candidates who are eligible to work in Switzerland or are in possession of a relevant work permit.
• Provides guidance, leadership and expertise to define the ‘data’ solution architecture and strategies across various departments throughout the enterprise.
• Leads and manage internal and external (3rd party developer) teams to execute multiple projects related to integration between systems, data warehouse, data governance and dashboard/report development.
• Develop architectural standards, workflows and interface specification documents that complement the architectural vision well enforcing best practices.
• Design and create the physical data model for the data warehouse by analyzing the data from all source system applications and/or from external sources.
• Ensuring reliable, accurate, and accessible data for responsible data entry areas
• Ensure existing data/information assets are identified, stewarded and leveraged across the enterprise
• Collaborate with the rest of the Business Solution team on relevant data tasks that are part of projects – related to ERP system, Office 365, SharePoint Online, etc.
• Educate team members and business partners on area of technical expertise
• Enable and empower business users and sponsors to access and consume data easily for maximum business benefit
• Optimizes the information technology solutions to the enterprise-wide system requirements of Viking Cruises
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, information technology or a related field
• MCSD, MCSE Data Management and Analytics or similar certifications would be a plus. Certifications on Data Science or Big Data is also a plus
• Project Management Certification (PMP or PRINCE2) is a plus, but not required
• 3 - 4 years in a similar role
• Experience with Enterprise Data Architectures and building/managing data assets
• Experience with data integration, having done multiple ETL between systems. Data virtualization or replication experience is not required, but a plus
• Solid background in data management including big data technologies and data warehouse solutions
• Experience across all phases of data modeling, from conceptualization to database optimization and governance
• Experience working in a complex environment with multiple source systems feeding a data warehouse
• Experience in using some (if not all) of the Data Management tools like Microsoft SSMS to SSIS, SSDT/SSAS, SSRS, PowerBI and SQL are a must. Experience in use of any Big Data tools is a plus
• Experience in leveraging any of the Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning tools to improve the data assets of a company is a plus
• Ability to provide direction, strategy and value by analyzing current and future states of data, setting and communicating standards, and conception of projects or features to close the gap between current state and future goals
• Great experience in business analysis - Ability to learn and understand complex processes, systems and data structures
• Ability to understand business requirements and manage priorities - Skills in creating well defined tasks from business requirements, having in mind its priority and complexity, as well as the impact on current system
• Fully engaged in the project, being responsible for managing requirements and its priorities, but also responsive for questions from development team
• Knowledge of dimensional modeling, data warehousing, data governance and Big Data concepts
• Build relationships with business stakeholders and partners to understand information needs
• Ability to work on multiple initiatives and work streams at one time in a global environment
• Quick learner with ability to pick up new technologies/skills and business knowledge
• Ability to show flexibility, initiative, and innovation when dealing with ambiguous and fast–paced situations
• Define enterprise information strategy and roadmap that aligns with corporate goals
• Deliver complex software systems through all phases of a software delivery lifecycle
• Ability to work on multiple projects running concurrently by leveraging scalable external teams
• Ability to capture, organize and analyze Big Data
• Passionate about DATA, DATA and DATA – which includes gathering, architecting, organizing, governing and visualizing data into meaningful information
• Ability to provide technology direction and setting standards for data platforms, involving all aspects of information access and retrieval, integration, middleware translators, utilities, tools, and languages for use by information technology groups.
• Ability to communicate the benefits and advocate the use of enterprise wide data architecture and standard platforms, products and tools to senior management, business area staff and technical staff
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with great interpersonal dispositions and communication skills
• Willing to work with various business team(s) and are comfortable, patient with varied stakeholder groups
• Excited about working in the cruise industry
WHAT WE OFFER
• Flexible working hours
• On-site employee restaurant (including complementary soft drinks, coffee, tea)
• Regular company events, e.g. sports games, barbecue, cooking classes
• A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
• A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
• A highly talented, passionate and international team
If you are interested in this role, please apply via our website, including a cover letter (one page, introducing yourself and outlining why you are interested in the role) as well as your CV and relevant references.
Viking Cruises was founded by Chairman Torstein Hagen in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years.
With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes daily shore excursions, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides destination immersion through music performances, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and guest lecturers.
Viking River Cruises award-winning Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. Itineraries range from 8 to 23 days and feature the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China, and Southeast Asia.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first award-winning ocean ship with the 930-guest Viking Star. Sister ship Viking Sea joined the fleet in 2016, along with Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017. By 2028 Viking will have a fleet of sixteen ocean ships, making it the largest small ship ocean cruise line. Each ship boasts a veranda in every stateroom, a choice of restaurants, an infinity pool, a Nordic-inspired spa, panoramic Explorers’ Lounge, and more. Itineraries range from 8 to 141 days and feature destinations such as Scandinavia and the Baltic, the Mediterranean, the British Isles, and the Caribbean.