PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Technical Operations Director works closely with our Vessel Managers and New Building department. They ensure we are getting good value from our Vessel Management company and that learnings from operations are transferred to New Build so new vessels continue to improve.
This position is based in our Head Office in Basel, Switzerland. Please note that we can only accept applicants who are eligible to work in Switzerland or are in possession of a valid Swiss work permit.
• Manages the Operations part of the Request for Design Modification process, collects, reviews and makes return on investment calculations on all requests
• Represents Viking Ocean Cruises on all Energy saving related topics
• Project management of all in service Capex projects
• Responsible for the planning and financial control of all dry dock activities (execution of dry-dock by relevant Vessel Manager)
• Manage the maintenance interface with hotel, i.e. follow up standards on maintenance, processes, best practice. Act as liaison between hotel and deck/engine on hotel maintenance.
• Actively seeks out the best suppliers in the industry to ensure servicing/repairs carried out by Vessel Manager are always to the highest quality at the best price
• Represents Viking Ocean Cruises as required in negotiations with suppliers
• Reviews and assesses all non-opex requests
• Financial follow up of Vessel Manager, quarterly reviews and input into budgeting
• Works closely with Vessel Manager to optimize long term maintenance planning to ensure best cost and lowest impact on guest experience
• Forms a part of the itinerary review process
• Provides feedback from operations to New Build so that future platforms improve as required
• Conduct periodic vessel visits, audits & inspections to ensure the Vessel Manager is performing to Viking Ocean Cruises expectations
• Develops bunker plans and budgets and manages relationship with bunker brokers
• Develops and monitors fuel-testing program
• Other projects as assigned
• Strong understanding of cruise operations
• Minimum 5 years’ experience at sea or ashore in a cruise environment
• Experience in one of the following roles: Vessel Management, Chief Engineer, Staff Chief Engineer or Chief Electrician
• Fluent English, both verbal and in written
• Highly detail-oriented and organized in work
• Ability to meet assigned deadlines
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives
• Strong project management skills
• Strong audit skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
• Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external parties to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results
WHAT WE OFFER
• Flexible working hours
• Onsite employee restaurant (including complimentary soft drinks, tea and coffee)
• Regular company events, e.g. company run, barbecue, cooking classes
• A modern working environment with height-adjustable desks
• A dynamic and fast-growing environment where you can drive your future
• A free cruise for you and your +1 every two years
• Discounts on cultural events and sports activities
- Job type
- Basel, Switzerland
- Engineering & Maintenance, Management
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Duration of the contract
Viking Cruises was founded by Chairman Torstein Hagen in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years.
With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes daily shore excursions, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides destination immersion through music performances, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and guest lecturers.
Viking River Cruises award-winning Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. Itineraries range from 8 to 23 days and feature the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China, and Southeast Asia.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first award-winning ocean ship with the 930-guest Viking Star. Sister ship Viking Sea joined the fleet in 2016, along with Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017. By 2028 Viking will have a fleet of sixteen ocean ships, making it the largest small ship ocean cruise line. Each ship boasts a veranda in every stateroom, a choice of restaurants, an infinity pool, a Nordic-inspired spa, panoramic Explorers’ Lounge, and more. Itineraries range from 8 to 141 days and feature destinations such as Scandinavia and the Baltic, the Mediterranean, the British Isles, and the Caribbean.