WHO WE ARE
Viking has grown to be The World’s Leading River Cruise Line, with double-digit growth in recent years. With the launch of its ocean fleet in 2015, the company has also become the leader in small ship ocean cruising. With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides destination-focused itineraries designed for experienced travelers who have an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes a shore excursion in every port, and an exclusive Viking Culture Curriculum program that provides deep immersion in the destination through performances of music and art, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and carefully selected guest lecturers.
Viking currently operates a fleet of more than 80 vessels, state-of-the-art ships that have received numerous accolades since their launch from industry experts and travelers alike. Viking was voted the #1 River Cruise Line by Condé Nast Traveler in their 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards, and for the third year in a row, has been named the #1 Ocean Cruise Line* by Travel + Leisure readers in the World’s Best Awards 2018.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Viking Expeditions is a new arm of Viking Cruises to deliver expedition cruises in destinations previously not operated by Viking Cruises. We are currently building two bespoke expedition vessels, designed to be the perfect platform for delivering expeditions. Each vessel operates a fleet of Milpro Mk5 zodiacs, two offshore 13m RIBs, two U-boat Worx Cruise 7 submersibles, and a fleet of kayaks. The vessels will also operate as credible, rigorous research platforms, with a 40sqm wet-lab onboard, a range of scientific instrumentation, and with resident field scientists year-round. Viking expeditions are partnering with a suite of academic institutions, notably Cambridge University’s Scott Polar Research Institute, US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory (NOAA GLERL), Cornell Lab of Ornithology and the Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) to collaboratively deliver a comprehensive research program.
Our specialists hold a senior role on-board Viking’s expedition vessels and are key contributors to the delivery of Viking’s Enrichment Program by giving presentations, workshops and guiding interpretative walks and hikes on shore; and by mingling in guest areas on board, encouraging and facilitating an environment of informal education. Our specialists’ professional / academic research backgrounds will also, as appropriate, enhance our research program.
- Strong leader, team player and an inspiration to others
- Extensive experience in a specialized academic field
- Fantastic communication skills, especially of technical information to interested non-specialists
- Knowledgeable about expedition operations
- Works well under pressure
- Smart, presentable, friendly and excellent people skills
- Good computer & Microsoft Office experience (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc)
- English speaking and writing to a high standard
Prepare and conduct formal enrichment lectures, “Ted-x style” talks and informal workshops
Lead walks, hikes or drive zodiacs as per instructed by the Assistant Expedition Leader
During off-ship activities, act as an interpretative guide, engaging guests and enhancing their experience
Socialize and be visible in guest areas as often as possible
When assigned, write a short blurb reflecting the day’s experiences for marketing or other purposes
Assist with embarkation and disembarkation duties as necessary
Assist in any other general duties assigned by the Expedition Admin Team
Be a role model by leading by example.
Mindset and Values
- Be well groomed and of professional personality and focused on delivering 100% satisfaction
- Enthusiastic and proactive, loves to share his/her knowledge
- Operationally disciplined, able to rigorously ensure all Viking SOPs are followed
- Adhere to schedules, always setting good standards and an example to colleagues
Communication & Coordination
Report to the Expedition Program Coordinator
- Previous experience in a similar role or relevant experience lecturing
- demonstrated experience in the Expedition Cruise Industry - advantageous
- Successful in your field of expertise
- Established track record of scientific publications - advantageous
- Good administration and organization
- Proactive problem solving
- Teamwork and good communication
- Well organized, efficient and positive
- Understand guest needs
- Proactive in upholding Viking standards of excellence
- Marine Radio Operator’s VHF license or equivalent
- Small boat license (RYA Powerboat level 2 or equivalent) – Advantageous
Guidelines and Regulations
Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
For work in Polar Regions: have passed the appropriate and most recent field staff online assessment of IAATO/AECO.
The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Viking Cruises was founded by Chairman Torstein Hagen in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years.
With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes daily shore excursions, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides destination immersion through music performances, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and guest lecturers.
Viking River Cruises award-winning Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. Itineraries range from 8 to 23 days and feature the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China, and Southeast Asia.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first award-winning ocean ship with the 930-guest Viking Star. Sister ship Viking Sea joined the fleet in 2016, along with Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017. By 2028 Viking will have a fleet of sixteen ocean ships, making it the largest small ship ocean cruise line. Each ship boasts a veranda in every stateroom, a choice of restaurants, an infinity pool, a Nordic-inspired spa, panoramic Explorers’ Lounge, and more. Itineraries range from 8 to 141 days and feature destinations such as Scandinavia and the Baltic, the Mediterranean, the British Isles, and the Caribbean.