ASST CHEF DE PARTIE PASTRY
WORKING WITH JOB DESCRIPTION VIKING
As a Viking Shipboard Team Member, you represent Viking’s values and our Service Standard, STAR Service. You are a hospitality professional with a passion for excellence. Viking will empower you with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed in your role onboard. At Viking, we are committed to each other and our Guests through a shared set of values. We strive to be the best, we always impress our Guests and we care for each other as a family. By working for Viking, you embody our world-class service culture and become a valued part of our Viking Family.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Assistant Chef de Partie (CDP) Pastry assists the (CDP) to effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry/Bakery Production, ensuring that quality standards and procedures are in line with the Company’s Rules & Regulations and STAR Service Standards.
- You are required to provide your team with the necessary guidance, training and support, to maximize productivity.
- It is your responsibility to ensure safe, quality pastry production, to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure Guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Hold advanced cooking skills, demonstrate the ability to run a productive Galley section independently, in conjunction with the Assistant Pastry, requiring minimum supervision; submit daily food requisitions; regularly communicate any relevant provision issues to the Chef de Partie Pastry, Pastry Sous Chef and/or Executive Pastry Chef.
- Ensure that menus, recipes, guidelines and methods provided by the Chef de Partie Pastry, Pastry Sous Chef and/or Executive Pastry Chef are followed accordingly; ensure the disciplined running of shifts and productivity & maintain the expected level of food quality in the area of responsibility, as per the Chef de Partie Pastry’s, Pastry Sous Chef and/or Executive Pastry Chef instructions.
- Conduct regular recipe reviews and make adjustments, if necessary, communicating such adjustments to the Chef de Partie Pastry, Pastry Sous Chef and/or Executive Pastry Chef; countercheck daily Storeroom deliveries, for accuracy, and communicate any discrepancies to the relevant Supervisor.
- Ensure economical work practices and control food production to minimize and/or avoid wastage.
- Ensure that food preparations/storage are in line with all Public Health Policies and Company Regulations and enforce & maintain “clean as you go” work habits.
- Minimize equipment loss/damage, and maintain immaculate cleanliness standards in relevant areas, by applying safe working policies and procedures according to all Public Health Policies and ensuring that all equipment is sanitized and returned accordingly, after each use.
- Ensure that the pastry/adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced Public Health inspections, done either by the Ships’ Management or local authorities (public health inspectors).
- Separate & remove garbage and place it in designated containers; clean garbage as often as needed, ensuring those separation procedures and all Public Health Standards are maintained.
- Ensure mise-en-place for all areas of responsibility are prepared 15 minutes prior to service.
- Participate in “The Daily Reunion” every day to understand your team’s operational needs and to ensure consistent adherence to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to Guests and consistently maintain an impeccable standard of cleanliness and hygiene in assigned areas, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies; proactively prepare service according to Guest flow, embarkation & disembarkation, sea day activities & other activities.
- Ensure that Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is worn at all times during relevant activities, such as during the loading and handling and storage of chemicals. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards.
- Ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Demonstrates outstanding flexibility: able to work at different times of the day, under pressure and reflect a positive can-do attitude and the best image of Viking at all times.
- Become knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Have strong motivation to achieve the company goals and objectives (quality and financial) for the Culinary Department.
- Have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- A required minimum of 6 years plus experience as an Assistant Chef de Partie Pastry or similar position, within a 5 Star hospitality and/or restaurant environment; must have advanced pastry & baking skills covering sugar work, chocolate work and any other specialized skills, as needed.
- Fluent in English - must have excellent English communication skills to clearly interpret and orate documents, such as menus and recipes. The ability to speak additional languages is an advantage.
- Flexible, stress resistant, committed team player and exceptional work ethic is required.
- Must be proficient in effecting tasks and work efficiently & productively.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies are required.
- Must be able to physically handle 50+ lbs. (30KGs) on a daily basis, and work a minimum of eleven hours a day, seven days a week.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Position: Assistant Chef de Partie Pastry
Supervisor: Executive Pastry Chef
Direct reports: Direct reports: Assistant Pastry
Line manager: Chef de Partie Pastry and/or Sous Chef Pastry
Viking Cruises was founded by Chairman Torstein Hagen in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years.
With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes daily shore excursions, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides destination immersion through music performances, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and guest lecturers.
Viking River Cruises award-winning Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. Itineraries range from 8 to 23 days and feature the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China, and Southeast Asia.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first award-winning ocean ship with the 930-guest Viking Star. Sister ship Viking Sea joined the fleet in 2016, along with Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017. By 2028 Viking will have a fleet of sixteen ocean ships, making it the largest small ship ocean cruise line. Each ship boasts a veranda in every stateroom, a choice of restaurants, an infinity pool, a Nordic-inspired spa, panoramic Explorers’ Lounge, and more. Itineraries range from 8 to 141 days and feature destinations such as Scandinavia and the Baltic, the Mediterranean, the British Isles, and the Caribbean.