ASST EXECUTIVE PASTRY CHEF
PURPOSE OF POSITION
This role is to assist the Chef de Partie Pastry to effectively supervise and manage the onboard Pastry/Bakery Production, ensuring that Quality Standards and Procedures are in line with Company Rules and Regulations. To ensure that subordinates are guided and trained in order to be productive.
- Responsible for leading and supporting a multi cultural team of Galley personnel, ensuring the highest level of crew satisfaction and productivity.
- The Head Pastry in conjunction with the Sr. Head Pastry is responsible to run a section independently with minimum supervision required from the Chef de Partie Pastry.
- Ensures running a disciplined shift, to be full in control of the production and personnel assigned.
- Possesses Advanced Pastry Skills.
- Ensures that Menus, Recipes, Guidelines and Methods provided by the Chef de Partie Pastry are followed accordingly.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by complying with USPH and Company Regulations.
- Must be able to work in any section of de Partie Pastry and demonstrate methods and recipes to subordinates.
- Produces and maintains the expected level of food quality in the area of responsibility as per the Chef de Partie Pastry's instructions.
- Constantly analyzes recipes and the ongoing food productions for any possible Improvements.
- Submits the daily food requisition to the Chef de Partie Pastry.
- Counterchecks daily deliveries from the Storeroom for accuracy and reports any discrepancies to an immediate supervisor.
- Responsible for the section assigned by the Chef de Partie Pastry and its production/quality.
- Ensures that the assigned section is productive and operated with minimum supervision required from the Chef de Partie Pastry.
- Ensures that recipe reviews are conducted, corrected if needed and communicated to the Chef de Partie Pastry.
- Must be knowledgeable with established quality standards and company policies.
- Responsible for maintaining quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures; any possible discrepancies are to be rectified immediately.
- Communicates on a daily basis any relevant provision issues to the Chef de Partie Pastry.
- Ensures economical work practices and controls the food production to minimize and avoid wastage.
- Must have a complete knowledge and full understanding of USPH Rules and Regulations, ensuring that working/cleaning practices are applied throughout the operation.
- Ensures immaculate cleanliness in the Pastry/Bakery Department and adjacent areas by applying safe work practices, procedures according to USPH Regulations and prevent any equipment damages/loss.
- Responsible for controlling and maintaining all Pastry equipment, ensuring that it’s clean, sanitized and returned in an acceptable and proper condition after each use.
- Responsible for all Pastry Equipment in terms of cleaning, handling and storage. Any damages and/or malfunctions must be justified, recorded and reported.
- Ensures that the pastry and adjacent areas are ready for any announced and/or unannounced
- USPH inspection, done either by the Ship’s Management or local authorities (Public Health Inspectors).
- Must be familiar with the galley layout in terms of safety and security, must have a full understanding of ship rules/regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety Drills/Training.
- Ensures that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
- Must have a thorough understanding of working hours policies and procedures.
- Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
- Health: Must be physically fit and in good health, be able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis and work a minimum of eleven hours per day, seven days a week.
- Professional Experience and Education: Standard High School Education. Requires a minimum of three years in the profession (Quality Hotels or Restaurants).
- Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in order to interpret documents such as recipes and manuals. Other languages are considered a plus.
- Work Ethic: Must be a serious professional and take great pride in their work. Adherence to Company Rules and Regulations is a must for success in the job.
- Job type
- Basel, Switzerland
- F&B kitchen
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Duration of the contract
Viking Cruises was founded by Chairman Torstein Hagen in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years.
With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes daily shore excursions, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides destination immersion through music performances, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and guest lecturers.
Viking River Cruises award-winning Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. Itineraries range from 8 to 23 days and feature the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China, and Southeast Asia.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first award-winning ocean ship with the 930-guest Viking Star. Sister ship Viking Sea joined the fleet in 2016, along with Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017. By 2028 Viking will have a fleet of sixteen ocean ships, making it the largest small ship ocean cruise line. Each ship boasts a veranda in every stateroom, a choice of restaurants, an infinity pool, a Nordic-inspired spa, panoramic Explorers’ Lounge, and more. Itineraries range from 8 to 141 days and feature destinations such as Scandinavia and the Baltic, the Mediterranean, the British Isles, and the Caribbean.