PURPOSE OF POSITION
This position is responsible for the preparation and baking of all Bakery Goods on the Vessel.
He / She must to ensure that production levels and the quality are in line with company expectations and standards.
He / She is required to follow provided recipes and set procedures at all times.
• Must possess advanced bakery skills.
• Must be experienced and knowledgeable in European / French baking techniques.
• Work efficiently and cost conscientious
• Ability to master bread decorations for the various buffet themes / special occasions as required by the Executive Chef / Executive Pastry Chef.
• Able to lead a team of Baker, Asst Baker, delegate, train and guide in order to be productive
• Responsible for all Bread Productions at Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner in all Outlets in terms of quality, freshness and in accordance to recipes provided by the Corporate Office.
• Evaluates productions levels to remain within budget targets.
• Ensures that his / her section is productive and operated with the least supervision required from superior.
• Must be knowledgeable with established quality standards and company policies.
• Responsible to maintain quality and consistency in taste, presentation and appearance according to recipes and pictures; any possible discrepancies are to be rectified immediately.
• Ensure economical work practices and control the food production to minimize and avoid wastage.
• Must have a good knowledge and good understanding of USPH Rules and Regulations, ensuring that working/cleaning practices are applied throughout the operation.
• Ensure immaculate cleanliness in the Bakery Department and adjacent areas, by applying safe work practices, procedures according to USPH Regulations and prevent any equipment damages / loss.
• Must be familiar with the galley layout in terms of safety and security, must have a full understanding of ships rules / regulations (SMS) and participate in all required Safety Drills / Training
• Ensures that the HACCP program is applied accordingly.
• Must be familiar with the contracts and work schedules hours/week and supporting documentation.
• Personality and Appearance: Must have a pleasant and courteous personality. Must be well groomed, and presentable.
• Age and Health: Minimum age should be twenty-five (25) years old. Physically fit and in good health, without any previous record of any medical problems, drugs and alcoholism.
Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs (30 Kilos) on a daily basis and able to work a minimum of ten hours per day, seven days a week.
• Professional Experience and Education: Standard High School Education. Requires a minimum of eight years in the profession (Quality Hotels or Restaurants). Must have a thorough understanding of European bakery practices,
excellent hands on techniques and ability to maintain exceeding standards.
• Communication and Language Skills: Must be able to read and speak English clearly in order to interpret documents such as recipes and manuals. Other languages are considered a plus.
• Work Ethic: Must be a serious professional, leader and motivator. Adherence to the Company’s Rules and Regulations is a must for his success on the job.
REPORTS TO HEAD BAKER
SUBORDINATES ASSISTANT BAKER
- Job type
- Basel, Switzerland
- Starting in
- As soon as possible
- Duration of the contract
Viking Cruises was founded by Chairman Torstein Hagen in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years.
With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes daily shore excursions, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides destination immersion through music performances, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and guest lecturers.
Viking River Cruises award-winning Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. Itineraries range from 8 to 23 days and feature the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China, and Southeast Asia.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first award-winning ocean ship with the 930-guest Viking Star. Sister ship Viking Sea joined the fleet in 2016, along with Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017. By 2028 Viking will have a fleet of sixteen ocean ships, making it the largest small ship ocean cruise line. Each ship boasts a veranda in every stateroom, a choice of restaurants, an infinity pool, a Nordic-inspired spa, panoramic Explorers’ Lounge, and more. Itineraries range from 8 to 141 days and feature destinations such as Scandinavia and the Baltic, the Mediterranean, the British Isles, and the Caribbean.