Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
The Bench Director of Finance is a key member of Americas Finance. This position Provide leadership and financial support to properties within a region, which may include interim Director of Finance roles, conducting audits, leading projects, training staff, etc.
This individual will work closely with regional finance teams, property leaders and Internal Audit to identify control weaknesses and present recommendations to financial leaders.
Based on the assignment, the Bench Director of Finance may perform some or all of the following functions:
- Leads the development and implementation of a comprehensive annual business plan which is aligned with the company’s and brand’s strategic direction, improves profit growth in operating departments and demonstrates a commitment to meeting the needs of all key stakeholders.
- Creates the annual operating budget for the property and provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for property managers.
- Effectively manages communication with owners. Works through conflicts to create win/win results. Proactively anticipates and addresses needs and involves ownership in key decisions.
- Collaborates with Operations and Revenue Managers to develop effective revenue management strategies and set aggressive goals that will drive the property's financial performance.
- Participates in sales strategy and revenue management meetings and uses financial expertise and analytical models to evaluate mix of transient and group revenue and provide pricing and inventory recommendations that increase market share and attain revenue growth and profit goals.
- Provides on going analytical support, e.g., monitoring the operating department’s actual and projected sales and coaches management team to ensure revenue goals are met and opportunities are identified and addressed.
- Effectively manages property working capital and cash flow in accordance with Marriott SOPs and owner requirements.
- Identifies key projects and manages associated Capital Expenditure funds for implementation of brand initiatives, product improvement and increased revenue potential.
- Uses financial analysis, data trends and market information to anticipate needs, identify operating/financial issues and recommend actions to maximize financial return. Highlights trends that are likely to shape the wants and needs of internal and external customers of the future; leads the organization in exploring business opportunities that create value for the customer while driving profit.
- Functions as the property’s Strategic Financial Business Leader; develops and implements hotel-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property associates.
- Analyzes financial data and market trends and produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in the business and facilitates critique meetings to review information with management team. Provides regional and corporate recipients with forecast information in a timely manner.
- Puts in place appropriate controls to manage business risks. Ensures a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve
- Ensures that accepted accounting and self-audit principles and policies are followed, and trains hotels about the adequacy and effectiveness of internal accounting procedures and operating systems and controls.
- Confers with Company management on opportunities to improve policies, programs, and activities of the Americas; makes recommendations regarding specific areas of responsibility. Ensures consistent treatment and resolution of issues.
- Meets with Company management at all levels to discuss audit plans and results and make recommendations to resolve findings requiring corrective action.
- Works closely with Internal Audit to follow-up on issues and recommendations resulting from their own property and regional audits, and develops plans to improve overall control environment.
Train property teams on control environment enhancements and share best practices within and between hotels in a region.CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, procedures, and techniques of accounting, and of financial records and transactions including, but not limited to, generally accepted accounting principals.
- Strong communications (verbal and written), organization and presentation skills
- Strong financial management and analytical skills; ability to identify trends in financial statements
- Knowledge of purchasing, inventory controls, supplies and equipment
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations and governances
- Governmental regulations and safety standards (OSHA, EPA, ADA, CFC, NFPA)
- Systems skills, including MS Office and hotel systems (Peoplesoft or SAP, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and take initiative; strong time management skills
- Ability to translate financial concepts into actionable business strategies and tactics
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and influence others at all levels, including senior management
- Effective decision-making skills; can choose a prompt course of action amongst options involving uncertainty or risk
- Strong problem-solving skills; encourages new innovative solutions when appropriate
- Ability to build consensus amongst various stakeholders with competing priorities
- Effective change management skills
Minimum Job Specifications
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or a related field.
- Starwood experience strongly preferred
Minimum of 4 years of experience, including at least one of the following areas:
- 1+ year as previous Director of Finance
- 2+ years as previous Assistant Director of Finance
3+ years experience in hotel auditing
- This position may be based remotely and will require approximately 75-80% travel.
- Job type
- Honolulu, HI, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible