Animal Endocrinology Internship – Spring 2018
Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
“We make magic.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Be a part of a transformative team and culture…
- Perform hormone analyses for a variety of exotic species to assess animal physiology such as pregnancy, effective contraception, and positive welfare as part of our animals’ comprehensive preventative health care plan
- Present animal hormone and behavior information to science and animal husbandry and health partners to help with animal management decisions
- Share team projects and conservation stories with Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park Guests to inspire them to conserve species and their habitats
- Operate and maintain on-site lab equipment
- No direct animal contact takes place in this role.
What You Bring to the Role:
- Minimum three months of non-classroom research laboratory experience in established scientific research program
- Ability to think critically and interpret biological information
- Attention to detail and skilled at following laboratory protocols
- Eagerness to share passion with other individuals and group tours
- Enthusiasm for animal conservation and care in zoos
- Must have a valid U.S. Driver's License
- Operating a company vehicle is required for this role. Candidate must be willing and able to operate a company vehicle under inclement weather, including minimal lighting
- Completed additional laboratory coursework (e.g., vertebrate biology, cell biology, biochemistry, organic chemistry)
- Technical research laboratory experience in endocrinology, reproductive biology, zoology, or animal physiology which may include performing enzyme immunoassays
- Demonstrated pipetting experience
- Sincere interest in zoo animal endocrinology with professional goals in conservation-related fields
- Previous experience in a zoological institution/conservation organization
- Completed coursework (lecture/laboratory) in endocrinology, reproductive biology, chemistry and/or animal physiology
- Junior, senior or recent college graduate, masters student, or recent master’s graduate
- Biology, Animal Science, Zoology, Wildlife Biology or related major
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0
Company Overview The Walt Disney Company is the global leader in high-quality entertainment and innovative technology. Begin a career that delivers unparalleled creative content and experiences to audiences around the world. Additional Information
Required Materials WITHIN 2 DAYS OF APPLICATION:
• Résumé (outlining all of your required qualifications)
• College transcripts (official or unofficial)
* Writing Sample - Write a short synopsis (Approximately 200-300 words) describing Simba, his family and the savanna habitat in which he lives using factual information about lions. This link will take you to Disney’s Animal Kingdom profile page on lions to get you started: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/disney-animals-lions
To upload these documents WITHIN 2 DAYS OF APPLICATION:
• Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
• Click the link labeled “edit profile info”
• Click on the "Attachments" Tab
• Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Type (i.e. Mickey_Mouse_Transcripts or Mickey_Mouse_CoverLetter)
• Select document type of “Other”
If you experience any difficulty with uploading documents, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
• Must possess unrestricted work authorization
• Must provide full work availability
• Must provide own transportation to/from work
• Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are January 2018 - June 2018. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Housing: A limited amount of company-sponsored housing is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Recommendation – Print This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview. Note that this role description will not be accessible once the posting is closed.
- Job type
- Orlando, FL, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible