Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
This position is based out of Phoenix, AZ.
- Promote organizational alignment by ensuring that MSB (Marriott Select Brands) overall business direction and strategies are understood and consistently executed in MSB units within the Area Director’s area of responsibility.
- Ensure the implementation and sustainability of key sales operational programs, procedures and standards to drive the financial performance for units within the Area Director’s area of responsibility.
- Anticipate and quickly seize opportunities to improve unit performance.
The MSB Area Director (Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Minnesota) provides sales and operational leadership and expertise that enables properties to deliver balanced scorecard results. As a business leader, the incumbent provides oversight and direction to drive managed units’ business performance. The Area Director uses MSB business knowledge, sales and operational skills and diverse sources of information, products and tools to generate profitability and ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
The MSB Area Director is the business leader for all MSB units within his/her area of responsibility and is responsible for sales, operations, profit and human resources performance for all managed units. The incumbent oversees the implementation of MSB managed plans and programs and ensures compliance with brand standards.
- Is accountable for all managed units performance in the areas of sales, operations, profit and human resources.
- Ensure the delivery of sustainable business results against growth and profitability objectives. Ensure General Managers understand and execute consistent operating standards.
- Drive top line revenue for managed units to include working with each hotel to establish sales and marketing plans/activities, monitoring financial performance, etc.
- Lead the execution of operational responsibilities necessary to drive operational excellence (i.e., sales, human resources, quality assurance, owner relations and revenue management.
- Conduct property visits and implement pre-opening systems for managed units.
- Execute operational strategies and monitor property performance against defined expectations.
- Leverage knowledge and experience in brand operations to identify and implement improvements to business processes.
- Create clear system of accountability with General Managers and regional teams to drive balanced scorecard performance results.
- Provide strategic business and functional leadership to General Managers to ensure the achievement of business objectives. Develop and manage hotel business plan and priorities with General Managers. Understand the balanced scorecard and develop actionable goals to create accountability for scorecard results.
- Use standard protocol to conduct regular business reviews and property visits for all managed properties within area of responsibility.
- Contribute on a regular basis to operating and sales programs by recommending new and creative business management techniques.
- Execute consistent business models and processes for properties within area of responsibility; share best practices with broader organization.
- Set priorities and drive results through effective people management, i.e., relationships, and processes utilizing reliable tools and leveraging resources to include other parts of the organization.
- Implement a systemic framework to manage and monitor the sales operations within area of responsibility. Ensure consistent understanding and application of the systemic framework by MSB GMs.
- Operate in a business manner that promotes consistency and facilitates innovation. Ensure the development and execution of successful business strategies related to property plans, sales and market reviews, capital planning and budgets.
- Ensure the integration of sales & marketing, operations and community activities to include participation in discipline and community quarterly and annual meetings (e.g., cluster sales/revenue meetings, market intelligence meetings, BTS pricing, RevPAR growth planning, cluster engineering meetings, business councils, etc.).
- Responsible to ensure the appropriate connectivity within the franchise community is in place in the Area Director’s area of responsibility.
- Manage and sustain effective working relationships with regional and corporate team members. Partner with key stakeholders (e.g. sales and marketing, operations and the local community) to ensure the integration of operation activities.
- Build relationships across the region to align own technical areas with broader organizational direction.
- Sell ideas persuasively and influence without direct authority – including GMs, cluster resources and MSB senior management - on a variety of business issues for which there are competing perspectives.
- Negotiate skillfully in tough situations, settle differences and win concessions without damaging relationships.
Generating Talent & Organizational Capability
- Hire, retain and continually develop diverse, high-caliber general management talent that makes a strong positive impact on the organization. Anticipate future talent needs based on business plans. Develop plans to proactively address skill and resource gaps.
- Transfer functional knowledge and develop the sales and operations skills of other discipline managers.
Learning/Applying Personal Expertise
- Actively pursue learning and self-development to enhance personal, professional and unit growth i.e., keep abreast of newest trends and innovations in the market & industry. Share learnings.
- Seek and welcome feedback. Take action to enhance performance based on experiences & coaching. Admit to and learn from mistakes.
- Understand MSB brands - role model and cultivate the Marriott culture within managed MSB unit operations in a way that complements the unique brand sub-cultures. Understand all aspects of unit operations, quality assurance processes, brand standards, along with applicable regulations, and their potential impact on the business.
Successful candidates should possess MSB brand knowledge, sales and operations experience and demonstrate versatile leadership and relationship skills. This position requires significant knowledge and experience in one or more disciplines and/or business operations as well as associate and organizational management experience. Candidate must have proven understanding of MSB brands and experience related to sales and operations, revenue management, profit management and human resources performance for managed units.
- 5 - 8 years of experience in hotel industry preferred.
- Strong understanding of MSB brands operating models.
- Knowledgeable of business dynamics: Sales, profit, operations, quality assurance plans and actions, guest tracking reports and CAPEX planning and reviews.
- Ability to role model and cultivate the Marriott culture within managed MSB unit operations in a way that complements the unique brand sub-cultures.
- Knowledgeable of process, techniques and strategies to open new properties. Demonstrated ability to adapt to meet the changing needs of the business and diverse individuals.
- Proven track record in the development and execution of business plans.
- Strong process management skills and ability to independently manage multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results through others or provide coaching and hands-on support; demonstrated ability to create accountability system to drive results.
- Proficient with P&L statements; ability to develop specific actions to address revenue and profit opportunities.
- Understand GSS (Guest Satisfaction Survey) and possess the ability to execute key plans and actions to address issues.
- Understand the balanced scorecard and develop strategies to improve or maintain performance.
- Knowledgeable in managing owner relations.
Education or Certification
- Bachelor’s degree in related area preferred.
- Job type
- Irvine, CA, United States
- Starting in
- As soon as possible