The Employment & Litigation Counsel will be responsible for managing and supporting a variety of litigation and pre-litigation matters, as well as providing day-to-day pragmatic legal counsel as a business partner on a full range of employment, compensation, and benefits issues.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Assist and advise WeWork business partners, particularly colleagues in the People Team, on a broad range of employment law matters including employee relations, onboarding, compensation, benefits and all other aspects of the employment relationship.
- Review, negotiate and draft legal documents with respect to the employment relationship including employment agreements, reward documents, restrictive covenants, employee handbooks and policies
- Update the People Team on changes in the law and provide training on employment law topics relevant to the People Team.
- Provide advice (as required as well proactively) to the People Team on employment related statutory requirements and local laws across 8 jurisdictions (Singapore, Australia, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia). Provide oversight and counsel to the People Team on internal investigations.
- Defend the Company in any employment litigation or pre-litigation disputes and oversee outside counsel as necessary or appropriate
- Support any employment related regulatory inquiries including administrative agency matters pertaining to wages, equality, etc.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Run internal fact investigation
- Develop case strategy in partnership with business units and driving cost-effective resolution of litigation disputes
- Manage outside counsel
- Legal research and writing for matters where outside counsel is deemed unnecessary (e.g., responses to letters of demand, position statements, etc.).
- Review and approve pleadings and motions and attending court hearings and depositions
- Coordinate discovery, including collection and production of materials
- Provide legal advice to business functions on a wide variety of pre-litigation issues arising from business-as-usual activities
- Keep management and business units apprised of litigation developments and strategy
- a lawyer qualified in a common law based jurisdiction
- Preferred years’ experience: minimum 4-5 years full-time employment in an in-house legal department with a focus on employment law
- Proven experience in employment law across most of the following jurisdictions: Singapore, Australia, South Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia.
- Experience handling litigation or pre-litigation matters
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and writing skills
- Strong communication skills and the ability to communicate complex legal information in a commercially savvy manner
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build strong working relationships at all levels of management and work on cross-functional teams
- Able to operate both independently and in a team environment
- Strong collaboration skills and flexibility in operating within a global team with NY leadership
This role can be based in either Singapore or in Australia.