Join Hosco and view Andries's full profile, it's free !
As a Hosco member, you will:
- Make yourself visible to thousands of companies in the hospitality industry'
- Join a community of 180'000+ students and professionals
- Learn more with new articles & videos every week on hosco.plus
• Highly capable Hospitality Manager with 16 years’ experience in driving budgeting, business management, forecasting, operations management, property management systems, public relations activities, and coordinated multiple functions for renowned hotels, restaurants and food & beverage operations across South Africa, Asia Pacific and the Middle East.
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit and capable business developer. Opening restaurants in Singapore from scratch, with full responsibility over entire range of business operations from product design to marketing.
• Well respected manager with outstanding leadership skills, having previously directed and mentored large teams of 400 and more employees across South African; extensive experience with budget management and resource optimisation, held full stewardship over regional operations budgets of up to US$ 10Mil.
• Capable researcher and analyst, recognised for conducting effective market research and deriving actionable insights pertaining to prevailing industry trends, and to consumer tastes and preferences; able to leverage on results to plan and conduct valuable marketing communications to target consumer segments.
• Proficient in identifying opportunities for process improvement and operational efficiency enhancement such as asset utilisation, departmental cost control and training leading to significant cost savings, enhanced productivity and improved customer satisfaction.
Executive Assistant Manager
Radisson Blu - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementSeptember 2017 - Now · 1 year and 5 months
• Leading operations and supporting the General Manager of this eco-friendly, leisure and business hotel apartments in managing administrative and operational departments; collaborate with department heads to brief General Manager on updated reports and process. Presided over all departments in General Manager’s absence. • Coach and train 120 employees to implement new procedures including an eco-friendly mindset on reducing costs/energy usage and eliminating plastic items throughout hotel; ensure a safe environment for employees by means of educating on modern slavery, resulting in minimal staff turnover of 4 staff members year to date. • Drive execution of cost control strategies and cost optimisation: oversee effective product procurement, monitoring products to ensure compliance with brand specifications and expense guidelines, and to collate data for performance of trend analysis. • Conduct monthly meetings to present monthly financials and operational reports to hotel owner and area office. • Consolidate information on area and historical data and analysing market trends to create a budget of US$ 10mil for newly established property. • Took role as Responsible Business Coordinator for the hotel, implementing the principle of: Think Planet, Think Community, Think People. SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS • Headed all operations in pre-opening plans from legal requirements and certifications to creating database and supplying information for POS systems, Micros and Opera in compliance to Radisson Blu Hotel brand standards • Took on all OS&E order and purchases for the hotel, ensuring procurement was done accurately and delivery schedule was maintained. SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS • Assisted in successfully opening Radisson Blu Hotel Silicon Oasis 3 weeks prior to scheduled date. • Efficiently controlled costs by daily monitoring and managing procurement to increase the gross operating profit by US$ 200,000 during the first 3 months of operation. • Successfully led hotel opening which had 100% occupancy within first 2 weekends with minor issues. • Currently being consider for a Cluster EAM Position for another 250 key hotel opening Q1 2019.
Cape Royale Luxury Hotel - Cape Town, South AfricaManagementApril 2016 - September 2017 · 1 year and 6 months
• Full responsibility of this five-star luxury leisure and business hotel overseeing, managing, and motivating a team of 150 in all departments including collaborating with department heads on a daily basis to ensure service levels and budgets are maintained in full compliance to hotel operating controls, SOP’s, policies, procedures and service standards. • Consolidated and analysed hotel’s performance. Presenting fiscal performance and progress reports to hotel owner monthly and annually, including capital budget, operating objectives, operating budget, and marketing and sales plan reports. Reporting on the STR results, evaluations and action plan for improvement. • Managed and optimised all outsourced revenue generating service suppliers, hotel revenue, and expense areas to maximize room yield and guest satisfaction through yield management programs, innovative sales practices, and hotel surveys. • Developed and implemented forecasting strategies to ensure monthly financial forecasts are accurate and on-target whilst overseeing P&L statements. • Liaised with sales team in driving new client acquisitions and managing corporate client accounts. • Supervised satisfactory introduction and orientation of newly recruited employees. Execute and implemented performance reviews and training with freshly developed employee training programs. • Oversaw procurement of operating supplies and equipment. Monitored contracting processes with third-party vendors to secure essential equipment and services for organising building preventative maintenance programs and schedules. • Monitored and enforced continued compliance with regulatory environments, including OHSA, HACCP, fire safety regulations, and other legislative requirements. SIGNIFICANT PROJECTS • Increased revenue by US$ 150,000 through insourcing the concierge and transfer services. Return on investment was below 2 years. 2 Employees was trained from driver positions to qualified tour guides and all services offered was controlled by the hotel and inline with the high service standards. • Increased of Food and Beverage revenue by US$ 170,000 through changing the breakfast restaurant to a full service all day dinning concept. This generated permanent employment for an additional 7 employees, advancement opportunities for a further 2 employees and increased the services offered by the hotel. • Initiated and led the refurbishment programme with a value of approximately US$ 700,000. This included FF&E and OS&E items. SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS • Maintained 5-star rating status by implementing high service standards and increase of 5% from previous year results. • Maintained and increased the review scores through team work and controls on most platforms, e.g. Booking.com, TripAdvisor, Expedia, etc.
L.I.X. Events - Cape Town, South AfricaManagementFebruary 2015 - March 2016 · 1 year and 2 months
• Lead the organization to drive full event lifecycles from inquiry to event completion; ensured compliance with strictest health/safety policies, assessments, and excellent standards. • Conceptualized well-thought and realistic budgets for individual events to maximize profits. • Managed client/stakeholder queries and troubleshooting while tackling concerns or issues on day of event to ensure high quality standards are met. All events were bespoke to each client’s needs. • Negotiated with suppliers, vendors, and potential partners to secure discounts and cost-savings on event-related goods. • Singlehandedly spearheaded enquiries from corporate clients, potential sponsors and advertisers, and public audience to enhance visitor experience whilst supporting the objectives of key backers/stakeholders. • Oversaw post-event dismantling process, ensuring rapid removal of event equipment from host location.
Deputy General Manager
Lagoon Beach Hotel and Spa - Cape Town, South AfricaManagementMarch 2011 - February 2015 · 3 years and 12 months
• Second in charge of the hotel by handling full spectrum of managerial tasks such as managing budgets of US$ 5mil, financial plans, and control expenditure to report directly to general manager. Orchestrated refurbishment schedules for all affected departments and with a strong focus on rebranding. • Maximized profitability of mid to large scale events(MICE) through strategic planning and management with an average 15% to 30% ROI. Profit optimization was achieved through strict controls. • Oversaw marketing plans, including design materials to be used internally & externally; spearheaded the MICE (meetings, incentives, conferencing, exhibitions) of the hotel to ensure control and optimization of equipment, procurement and labour. Liaised with potential clients and customers during site inspections to ensure compliance with safety standards, confirmation of service required and expectations, the delivering of such. • Assisted HR department in various administrative operations, including CCMA(Council for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration) representation, training employees to implement company and service standards, application of labour law standards, and control & management of payroll expenses. • Developed and implemented routine maintenance checks and preventative maintenance schedules. • Management of daily operations, P&L, accuracy of stock takes to control productivity, wastage and yield. • Improved overall guest experience and client satisfaction by ensuring daily operations adhered to company standards and procedures. Generating a pleasant environment for both employees and guests, resulting in an increase in our overall review scores. SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS • Promoted from F&B Manager to Operations Manager within first year of employment in recognition of outstanding performance, subsequently receiving a promotion to Deputy General Manager in 3 months. • Directed successful large-scale 7-day event of 4000 people from check-in to operational execution for numerous clients such as MTV, the United Nations and large pharmaceutical companies. • Pivotal in eliminating month on month profit loss of US$ 25,000 by ensuring control of year on year operational costs which led to a 10% increase in profit against cost management base and strengthened operational procedures. • Reduced staff turnover from 30 - 40 employees to 10 which increased productivity through hands-on training and boosted morale, resulting in the developing 2 employees to management positions.
Sun International - HLM GrandWest Casino - Cape Town, South AfricaManagementMarch 2009 - October 2011 · 2 years and 9 months
• As Deputy General Manager, oversaw a team of 450 employees working across nineteen F&B outlets, two meeting venues and one 7000-seater concert hall. Track daily sales and revenue, ensuring profit margins and cost percentages are maintained across all F&B products while addressing customer complaints and requests. • Supervised generation of sales mix and market trend forecast, product specification, sourcing, procuring, and pricing in order to control productivity of yield and wastage. • Presented weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to General Manager and Board of Directors in order to control, monitor, and track expenses of P&L through careful analysis and reporting of financial data to prepare loading of payments. • Trained a team of 450 employees on Micros POS system. Monitoring and controlling all transactions. • Introduction and monitoring of health, safety, and hygiene products. Assisted in diverse range of HR functions including compilation of roster of 45 management team, introduction of operations & HR manuals, and control & management of payroll expenses. • Liaised with external suppliers, managing the costing, design, and implementation of menus and specials in compliance with company standards. SIGNIFICANT ACHIEVEMENTS • Promoted within 6 months to Deputy General Manager from initial role as Financial Manager. • Reduced cash shortages/losses of US$ 20,000 and consistently maintained losses under US$ 600. • Reconciled Creditors and Debtors in which generated a monthly value of US$ 550,000. • Managed the takeover of competing service provider which consisted of 150 employees and generated a turnover of US$ 280,000 monthly. • Creation of excel spreadsheets to monitor revenue, control stock, analysis labour and financials were used through the group as “best practice” documents.
Food and Beverage Manager
Tsogo Sun Black Rock Casino (previously Century Casino) - Newcastle, South AfricaManagementJanuary 2007 - January 2009 · 2 years and 1 month
Operations Manager / Head Chef
OB Singapore Operations LTD (Fish&Co, Giraffe, The Simple Life) - SingaporeManagementJanuary 2005 - January 2007 · 2 years and 1 month
Blood Café - SingaporeF&B kitchenJanuary 2004 - January 2005 · 1 year and 1 month
Research and Development Chef
OB Singapore Operations LTD (Fish&Co, What-a-Fish) - SingaporeF&B kitchenJanuary 2003 - January 2004 · 1 year and 1 month
Manage, Lead, Succeed Training
Moorgat - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesJune 2017 - July 2017
Training through the Radisson Hotel Group for managers
Pastel – Financial Booking Keeping, V9
New Horizons - Cape Town, South AfricaJanuary 2009 - December 2009
Silwood Cordon Bleu College - Cape Town, South AfricaJanuary 2001 - December 2002
Culinary and Hospitality qualification
Wines of the World & Tertiary Wine Course
Cape Wine Academy - Cape Town, South AfricaJanuary 2001 - January 2002
Bachelor of Architecture
University of Cape Town - Cape Town, South AfricaFebruary 1998 - December 1999
Completed 2 years of BAS Architecture Degree and changed to culinary/hospitality.
EnglishNative or fluent100%
AfrikaansNative or fluent100%
- 5 star hotel service
- Basic finance
- Controlling food cost
- Customer and guest care.
- Employee development
- Excellent front of house
- Excellent guest relation
- Excellent people skills
- Experience in 5* hotels
- F&B micros
- F&B operation
- F&B service
- food cost
- Front office reception
- Good in microsoft
- Handle complain guest
- Handling guest
- Hotel housekeeping
- hotel opening
- Hotel Operations
- In room dining
- Love speaking to guests
- Luxury hotel
- multi restaurants
- Pre-opening a restaurant
- revenue growth
- Room Division
- SOP development
- Strong guest care
- Talent developer
- Team development
- Use opera