Join Hosco and view Desmond's full profile, it's free !
As a Hosco member, you will:
- Make yourself visible to thousands of companies in the hospitality industry'
- Join a community of 180'000+ students and professionals
- Learn more with new articles & videos every week on hosco.plus
A strategic senior operations leader with in-depth knowledge of hotel operations. Over 19 years of work experience in the hospitality industry in the United Arab Emirates. Exceptional client & customer relationship management, people management, strong analytical & problem solving skills, expert in communication, event management and MICROS are my core areas of expertise.
18 years and 11 months
Hotel General Manager
Dorus Hotel - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementJuly 2017 - Now · 2 years and 5 months
1. Actively involved in setting up operations and evolving the hotel into a professional operating unit. 2. Leading all aspects of business planning. 3. Overseeing, managing, coordinating and working closely with the HOD's for the execution of all activities and functions. 4. Ensuring full compliance to hotel operating controls, SOP’s, policies, procedures and service standards. 5. Leading all key property issues including capital projects, customer service and refurbishment. 6. Handling complaints and overseeing service recovery procedures. 7. Preparing and presenting the subsequent achievement of the hotel's annual Operating Budget, Marketing & Sales Plan and Capital Budget. 8. Managing on-going profitability of the hotel, ensuring revenue and guest satisfaction targets are met and exceeded. 9. Developing improvement actions and carrying out costs savings - evaluated and re-negotiated all vendor service contracts, resulting in 10% annual savings, while maintaining quality. 10. Have a strong understanding of Profit & Loss statements and the ability to react with impactful strategies. 11. MIS - preparing monthly financial reporting for the owners and stake holders across departments. 12. Closely monitoring the hotels business reports while taking appropriate decisions. 13. Analyzing sales figures and devising market and revenue management strategies. 14. Talent Acquisition. 15. Managing and developing the hotel executive team to ensure career progression and development. 16. Providing effective leadership and creating a safe conducive environment for the team members. 17. Responding to audits to ensure continual improvement is achieved. 18. Liaising with government bodies, responsible for legalization, Occupational Health & Safety Act, fire regulations and other legal requirements. 19. Business development meetings with prospective clients/stakeholders. 20. Ensuring a ‘zero defect room’ with the house-keeping team.
Director of Food & Beverage
City Max - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementSeptember 2016 - July 2017 · 11 months
1. Overall maintenance of operations at a level in keeping with the standards prescribed. 2. Provided high quality services to achieve exceptional customer experience by extensive interaction with guests and quick resolution of problems. 3. Talent Acquisition at all levels. 4. Developed Key Responsibility Areas for each level. Trained, coached and mentored the team to improve performance. 5. Conducted Performance Appraisals, monitored progress of performance, conceptualised, designed and developed need based training for employees overall career development. 6. Facilitated experiential training to enhance skills and improve motivation levels. 7. Achieved the budgeted food sales, beverage sales, labour costs and profitability. 8. Timely analysis of Food & Beverage Prices in relation to competition. 9. Participated and ideated towards F&B Marketing activities. 10. Prepared and designed sales promotions. 11. Developed and maintained all department control procedures. 12. Handled all Food & Beverage inquiries and ensured timely follow up. 13. Assisted and ideated in the menu planning and pricing. 14. Liaised on an on-going basis with the Sales Department to ensure all client needs and requirements are being met.
The Country Club Hotel - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementMay 2011 - August 2016 · 5 years and 4 months
1. Developed and Implemented strategies to ensure a positive experience that exceeds guests expectations. 2. Collaborated with all department managers to make sure operations were smooth and in tandem with one another. 3. Foresaw and anticipated guests needs and responded and promptly actioned. 4. Established and maintained standards for staff performance and exceptional customer service. 5. Maintained complete knowledge of inner working of the hotel, including room rates, hotel policies, specials, availabilities, VIP guests, hotel events, staffing etc. 6. Conducted performance appraisals. 7. Conducted daily meetings to ensure that all departments are in working order.
Food and Beverage Manager
Lotus Hotel - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementFebruary 2005 - May 2010 · 5 years and 4 months
1. Managed all F&B and day-to-day operations within budgeted guidelines and to the highest standards. 2. Preserved excellent levels of internal and external customer service. 3. Designed and launched exceptional menus, purchase goods and continuously make necessary improvements. 5. Developed outside catering menus for multiple local corporate offices. 6. Identified customers needs and responded proactively and patiently to all their concerns. 7. Led and managed outlet managers and staff. 8. Talent Acquisition, training, coaching, mentoring, appraisal and performance management of personnel. 9. Established targets, KPI’s, schedules, policies and procedures. 10. Encourage, established a two-way communication and nurtured an environment with emphasis in motivation and teamwork. 11. Complied with all health and safety regulations. 12. MIS - sales results and productivity. 13. Planned, forecasted and executed food and beverage orders. 14. Planned alternative recipes for customers with special dietary needs. 15. Checked food and beverage supplies, effectively maintained inventories, tracked and ordered shipments. 16. Communicated and built strong relationships with vendors. 17. Coached and mentored the Chef in maintaining cost effective and operationally viable food cost. 18. Trained staff on health standards, serving, hosting, order taking, communication skills, phraseology, policies, procedures and product knowledge.
Sea View - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementFebruary 2004 - January 2005 · 1 year
1. Manage and oversee the entire restaurant operation. 2. Deliver superior guest services and ensure guest satisfaction. 3. Plan new and update existing menus. 4. Plan and develop the overall restaurant marketing strategy. 5. Respond promptly to customer questions and complaints. 6. Talent Acquisition, people and performance management. 7. Estimate consumption, forecast requirements, maintain inventories and manage restaurant supplies. 8. Control costs and minimize waste. 9. Nurture, provide and establish a positive working environment. 10. Implement innovative strategies to improve productivity and sales.
Marco Polo - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementMarch 2001 - January 2004 · 3 years
1. Negotiated supplier contracts and managed budgets. 2. Hired and trained staff to provide excellent service to patrons. 3. Created effective schedules and quickly resolved conflicts to ensure that bar is well staffed during peak hours. 4. Set and enforced quality and safety controls. 5. Ensured licenses were updated and in line with current legislation. 6. Monitored and maintained the inventory of beverages, daily requisition sheets and increased sales and profit. 7. Oversaw cleanliness of staff and physical bar area, paying special attention to possible health hazards and code violations. 8. Resolved customer complaints promptly and according to company guidelines. 9. Oversaw the preparation of beverages and ensure quality of product served. 10. Maintained a spotless, fully stocked bar with all supplies and bar essentials, garnishes and beverages. 11. Responsible for creating seasonal cocktails to accompany quarterly menu changes. 12. Gained extensive knowledge in international fine wines, beers and beverages.
Emirates Tower - Dubai, United Arab EmiratesManagementFebruary 2000 - February 2001 · 1 year and 1 month
1. Led and directed team members on effective methods, operations and procedures to run a profitable, successful bar. 2. Actively participated in ongoing customer service programs to build sales and rapport in the community. 3. Talent acquisition, trained new and existing employees in the art of tending an efficient bar. 4. Managed the inventory for the bar. 5. Worked closely with the operations team to ensure the VIP experience is properly delivered to each and every guest. 6. Maintained a safe working and guest environment to reduce the risk of accidents and injuries. 7. Met, greeted, and encouraged feedback from customers and used feedback to implement positive changes within.
Bachelor's Degree in Hotel Management
University of Madras - Chennai, IndiaApril 1992 - April 1995
Native or fluent
Native or fluent
Date of birth
November 14th 1975
- Budgeting and Sales Forecasting
- Business Operations Management
- Business Strategy Development and Implementation
- Coach and Mentor
- Corporate Strategic Planning
- Cross Culture Knowledge
- Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Financial Planning and Profit & Loss Management
- Performance and People Management
- policy and procedure development
- Project management
- Sales and Marketing
- Talent Acquisition