Descripción de la oferta
W Melbourne is the rebel between the streets, taking its design cues from Australia’s cultural capital and providing the back-lane entrance keys to what’s New/Next in the city. Extending the laneway culture inside, 294 bold rooms and suites peel back the layers and revel in the city’s history. There are five electric and daring bars and restaurants within the hotel, plus over 800 square metres of ultra-modern event space. W Melbourne is set to be the place to see and be seen in.
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a life less ordinary that drives them to demand more, experience it all, and hit repeat.
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox. Retox. Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.
Curious, is going to be the place to see and be seen in. Music and bold concoctions will be paired with a menu full of small bites and sharing plates for an all-night experience. Like falling down a rabbit hole, the bar’s design is as impressive as the cocktail list. We’re on the lookout for Talent that will amplify the experience for our culture seekers and late-night revellers.
Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and stewarding team members. Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays. Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served. Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared. Inform Food & Beverage service talent of menu specials and out of stock menu items. Prepare special meals or substitute items. Assist cooks and kitchen talents with various tasks. Provide cooks with needed items. Monitor stock of kitchen supplies and food. Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program and food products. Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
Assist management in hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, counselling, disciplining, and motivating and coaching employees. Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report maintenance needs, accidents, injuries, and unsafe work conditions to manager; complete safety training and certifications. Ensure wardrobe and personal appearance are clean and professional; maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets. Address guests’ service needs. Speak with others using clear and professional language. Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals; listen and respond appropriately to the concerns of other employees. Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period. Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping. Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
CAST KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- High school diploma or GED; 2 years’ experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area OR
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major from Technical, Trade, or Vocational School; 2 years’ experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Safety and Security
- Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
- Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
- Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
- Follow policies and procedures for the safe operation and storage of tools, equipment, and machines.
- Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
- Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
- Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
Policies and Procedures
- Follow company and department policies and procedures.
- Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
- Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
- Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
- Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
- Address guests' service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner.
- Aid coworkers, ensuring they understand their tasks.
- Speak to guests and co-workers using clear, appropriate and professional language.
- Talk with and listen to other employees to effectively exchange information.
- Discuss work topics, activities, or problems with coworkers, supervisors, or managers discreetly and quietly, avoiding public areas of the property.
- Answer telephones using appropriate etiquette including answering the phone within 3 rings, answering with a smile in one's voice, using the callers' name, transferring calls to appropriate person/department, requesting permission before placing the caller on hold, taking and relaying messages, and allowing the caller to end the call.
- Serve as a departmental role model or mentor by working alongside employees to perform technical or functional job duties.
- Assign and ensure work tasks are completed on time and that they meet appropriate quality standards.
- Ensure that hourly employees are trained on company core values, job roles, responsibilities, and technical and service aspects of the job.
- Encourage and motivate employees to perform their best, take responsibility for tasks and assignments, make decisions and provide input on possible improvements.
- Assist management in establishing and communicating goals, performance expectations, timetables and deadlines for shift or departmental operations to hourly employees and ensure that they are understood.
- Ensure employee compliance with company standards and policies and external regulations (e.g., safety, OSHA, department-specific procedures such as food standards).
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
- Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
- Monitor the performance of others to ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards
Working with Others
- Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
- Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
- Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
- Actively listen to and consider the concerns of other employees, responding appropriately and effectively.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period or for an entire work shift.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
- Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing a hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
- Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
- Prepare all potentially hazardous foods at the correct temperature according to the HACCP guidelines.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
- Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to facility management.
- Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers to prepare foods.
- Maintain kitchen logs for food safety program compliance (e.g., A1, A2, QA).
- Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e., management or maintenance).
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programs within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Inform Chef of any excess food items that can be used in daily specials or elsewhere.
- Maintain food logs for all food products (e.g., production charts).
- Monitor stock of kitchen supplies and food to identify needed items and ensure neat and orderly storage, and communicate potential product shortages, or price changes, to supervisor/manager.
Sanitation and Maintenance
- Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
- Set-up and break down workstation with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies, ensuring items are to established specs, ensuring adequate fill of containers, storing items appropriately, and cleaning station as appropriate.
- Follow and ensure compliance with sanitation and cleaning procedures and pest control guidelines, reporting pest control issues to appropriate personnel.
Kitchen Tools & Equipment
- Use kitchen tools safely and appropriately, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes, and cans; keeping knives sharpened; using proper knife handling procedures; using correct knives for particular food item or specific task; using dry pads when moving hot material; and engaging all appropriate safety devices prior to operating equipment.
- Use measuring tools (for example, scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons) to precisely measure ingredients and portion sizes.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist, establishing priority items.
- Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
- Monitor food quality while preparing food and throughout the day utilizing the HACCP forms and production charts.
- Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption.
- Assist cooks and kitchen talent with various tasks as needed and provide cooks with needed items.
- Prepare special meals or substitute items, where possible, to satisfy guest requests.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
- Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish to be served to waiters or patrons, according to standards.
- Inform Food & Beverage service talent of menu specials and out of stock menu items throughout the meal period.
- Serve food (for example, soup, desserts, sides, entrees) in proper portions onto dishes, plates, mugs, and bowls, ensuring proper plate appearance.
Maintenance, Sanitation, and Cleaning Activities
- Ensure food storage areas are clean.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.