Why working for us is different
We won’t put you in a box as a ‘receptionist’ or ‘food and beverage’ person. With us, you’ll become a champion multitasker – customer service, receptionist, concierge, barista, mixologist, logistics and more. You will be a citizenM ambassador, free to be yourself to do the best job you can. We believe in making work fun. If you’re having a great experience, so will our guests.
We’re proud to put hospitality back in the hospitality industry, and that’s because of our ambassadors. We don’t hire them for their skills; we hire them for their attitude. We seek people who feel great about making others smile and we see the results in our happy guests.
We are looking for a kitchen hero, a pantry lion, a knight in shining apron to be the strongman (or strongwoman) behind the scenes at citizenM’s hotels. The official title is ‘food ambassador’ – but this role means so much more than its title.
The food ambassador’s purpose is to create a ‘wow!’ experience for everyone at front-of-house – that is all hotel guests and citizenM staff. We don’t have a full-service restaurant and our menu is small – so it’s extra important that everything we serve is perfectly prepared, well presented and tasty. You will be the essential hero to make that happen – and you’ll take care of everything from placing orders to keeping the kitchen clean. Can you bring your enthusiasm and energy to our amazing hotel teams?
We are hiring for our hotels in Shoreditch
- preparing and presenting hot and cold meals for hotel guests, visitors and business meetings
- kitchen cleaning, food handling and cooking according to HACCP regulations
- assisting our guests (i.e. questions about the dishes or the menu)
Typical shift: there is no typical shift! Goodbye, rigid schedules! Your shifts will vary in length from 4 to 12 hours (with breaks according to local labour laws, of course), and will fall on different days and different hours. We keep things dynamic and flexible, so you enjoy lots of freedom for your other life plans.Do you have what we are looking for?
- have at least a basic understanding of written and spoken English
- love food and think presentation is as important as preparation
- can work with minimal supervision in a systematic and organised way, even under pressure
- always think two steps ahead – anticipate rush hour, organise tasks now for better efficiency later
- have kitchen skills – enjoy scrambling, fluffing, dressing and presenting food in an attractive way
- have knowledge of food handling requirements (HACCP) – we will also teach you what you need to know
- want to be a real kitchen hero – take pride in every dish you send out
What’s in it for you?
- prefer real nice and passionate personalities instead of corporate robots
- have a unique, fresh culture where everyone is free to do their best for the hotel and the guests
- have a truly international environment – you’ll be working with and meeting citizens of the world every day
- offer a competitive market salary and unique perks, plus safety shoes and a citizenM outfit
- set up specialist training programs (HACCP) and a personal development plan
- evaluate you on guest satisfaction – if they are happy, so are we
Living Wage employer (£12.70 / hour )
full immersion (training) program for new starters
citizenM experience nights for you (and friends and family)
pension and cycle to work scheme
citizenM uniform and comfy shoes by On Running
Hospitality Action membership (well being support)
Restaurant and bar discounts via CODE for all ambassador
You’ll be part of a new team of ambassadors who are proud to put on their citizenM outfit every day and go out to wow our guests. You’ll help us shake up the traditional hotel industry by providing the thing our guests love most about us: exceptional service.
Your success is in your hands and you’ll be rewarded for your individual contribution, while supported by your manager on duty through monthly performance coaching. As you grow, we grow, so we will assist you in your personal and professional development and give you access to different learning opportunities and tools. Whether you’re interested in building a career in hospitality, or want to strike a balance between work and your other interests, we are the right place if you have a genuine passion for helping people and growing your talents, whatever your background. citizenM is an affordable luxury hotel chain for mobile citizens of the world. With style that will knock your socks off, we offer citizens a real home from home, plus the world’s fluffiest pillows. Our typical guest is a frequent traveler who is quality and design driven, and value conscious. We currently have hotels in the Netherlands, France, UK, Switzerland, Denmark, USA and Asia, with more to come soon. We are proud to put hospitality back into the hospitality industry, and have received numerous awards for our groundbreaking approach. We like to do things differently. This means our hotels are not traditional… and neither are our support offices. We're open-minded, with kind hearts and global minds. citizenM loves diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from anyone.