Description du poste
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world’s most luxurious hotels, resorts and residences. Having grown from its Asian roots into a global brand, the Group now operates 32 hotels and six residences in 23 countries and territories, with each property reflecting the Group’s oriental heritage and unique sense of place. Mandarin Oriental has a strong pipeline of hotels and residences under development and is a member of the Jardine Matheson Group.
Set at the heart of the U.S. capital between Maine and Maryland Avenues and 12th and 14th Streets, SW, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC has redefined luxury in the city. Just streets away from the nation’s most revered monuments and the Smithsonian Institution, the hotel is also within easy reach of Capitol Hill and District Wharf.
Overview of Position
It is the mission and intent of this position that the incumbent will manage all aspects of the Housekeeping Department inclusive of all public areas, and the laundry/valet facilities.
The job includes property maintenance inclusive of all public areas, all F&B outlets, spa, guest rooms and laundry/valet. Manages a housekeeping staff, including Housekeeping Managers, Assistant Housekeeping Managers, Office Coordinators, AM & PM Room Attendants, House Attendants and Valet and Seamstresses.
The intent of the incumbent is to maintain the cleanliness and order of the entire hotel to exceed expectation and operate in compliance with all MOHG standard and initiatives.
- Coordinate the efficient running of the Housekeeping and Laundry/Valet departments on a daily basis.
- Motivate, train, supervise, evaluate and discipline all Housekeeping and Laundry employees.
- Ensure that all reports required by various offices in the hotel are submitted on a timely basis.
- Ensure that all colleagues have total compliance with all standards of operation and service standard requirements.
- Review all customer comments and feedback relating to the Housekeeping and Laundry/Valet departments, ensure that immediate action has been taken and formulate solutions to prevent dissatisfaction recurring.
- Ensure that all schedules are completed and meet the labor management guidelines.
- Oversee the ordering of all supplies to ensure that par levels are maintained and that purchasing is in line with budget.
- Hold regular daily, weekly and monthly communication briefings with colleagues of all levels.
- Carry out inspections of rooms, public areas and back of house areas on a regular basis to ensure that high standards are maintained at all times.
- Ensure that linen is properly controlled and ensure that quality of linen laundry service is reviewed daily.
- Ensure that uniforms for all staff are maintained and controlled and coordinate with designers as required.
- Propose and initiate when approved, new services and products for our guests.
- Perform and oversee administrative duties such as scheduling, payroll, purchasing and inventory management reports.
- Maintain an ongoing Safe & Sound program.
- Participate in all regular and ad-hoc operational meetings as required.
- Manage projects and any other reasonable duties as required by hotel management
- Oversee housekeeping and laundry candidate selection and staffing.
- Oversee staff performance of all housekeeping and laundry colleagues.
- Develop middle management through coaching within the department.
- Ensure that the appraisal and succession planning systems and deadlines are utilized and adhered to.
- Ensure that all staff problems are handled expediently and tactfully.
- Complete ownership for the ongoing training requirements in the division.
- Oversee all vacation and leave requests to ensure that staffing guidelines are covered.
- Ensure that disciplinary procedures are undertaken fairly and in accordance to hotel policies.
- Comply with and enforce hotel grooming standards with all colleagues.
- Closely monitor all departmental expenses and labor to ensure that they are within budget.
- Participates in the preparation of the annual budget providing the Hotel Manager with information required to complete the division budget.
- Contribution to the preparation of Rooms annual CapEx plan and management of Rooms related CapEx projects and expenditure.
- Ensure operations meet all internal and external audit requirements.
- Work closely with Director of Engineering to oversee maintenance of all rooms and public areas as required.
- Conduct regular maintenance walk-throughs of the property with Engineering Management identify any areas that require remedial action and to co-ordinate the timely completion of such.
- Manage the room preventative maintenance program in conjunction with the Director of Engineering to ensure that the MOHG standards for PM are maintained throughout the year and to ensure that the quality of the room product is maintained at the highest level.
- Work constantly with the Engineering Management team to ensure that any out of order rooms are returned to inventory expediently.
Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person's career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; encourages people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental and talent management system in the organization; is a people builder.
Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person's hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching goals; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when under pressure or when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn't show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Drive for Results
Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers. Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience.
Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can't; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities. Makes decisions in a timely manner.
- At least 5 years practical experience in similar position for a luxury property
- College degree in Hospitality Management or similar field
- Adheres to, supports and carries out the strategic Company’s Vision and values
- Superior Employee Relations Skills
- Displays high commitment to improving customer services
- Committed to developing colleagues
- Ability to motivate team and build morale
- Ability to anticipate and assess issues, risks and opportunities and develop the new approaches
- Accepts responsibility and accountability
- Excellent communication skills in all aspects: verbal, written and non-verbal.
- Professional and appropriate business appearance and presentation.
- Must possess excellent organizational and administrative skills, interpersonal skills and leadership skills.
- Approachable, open-minded and fair.
- Flexible work hours to meet the demands of a 24 hour operation.
- High energy.
- Union experience.
- Additional languages are an advantage.
- Experience with Infor HMS is an advantage.
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
Working with us means…
We are dedicated to delighting our guests and colleagues. We are committed to becoming the best and we emphasize working together to achieve this goal. We support acting with responsibility.
Working with us means working harmoniously, respectfully, passionately, and towards personal growth. Working with us means that you will be personally valued. From the initial interview through the comprehensive orientation to the numerous Learning and Development programs, we are committed to providing a Mandarin Oriental ‘Colleague Journey’ that exceeds colleague expectations.
Become a Fan of MO! Click the links below to learn more about us!
Equal Employer Opportunity statement
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group’s colleagues to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Advertised: 22 Sep 2020 US Eastern Daylight Time