Descrizione del lavoro
In August 2022, Viking will expand its destination-focused travel experiences with the launch of Mississippi River cruises. Its first 386-guests custom vessel, Viking Mississippi, will sail voyages on the Lower and Upper Mississippi, ranging from 8 – 15 days, between New Orleans and St. Paul. Viking’s arrival will bring modern river cruising to the Mississippi and will represent a major commitment to tourism and economic development in many communities along the river. The new state-of-the-art Viking Mississippi is inspired by Viking’s award-winning river and ocean ships and will feature clean Scandinavian design, as well as public spaces that are familiar to guests but that have been reimagined for Mississippi River voyages. Purpose-built for the Mississippi and currently under construction in Louisiana, the five-deck ship’s cutting-edge design, expansive windows and comfortable amenities will make it the largest and most modern cruise ship in the region.
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
• The Hotel Manager manages the entire Hotel Operation, this includes coordinating and leading the Hotel Department Heads onboard. It is your duty to be hands-on during peak services, to set the standard among your team and to ensure that all crew delivers service, in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standard.
• Together with the ship’s Leadership Team, you are required to coordinate and execute onboard safety/environmental and maintenance procedures.
• It is your responsibility to create a friendly, crew and guest-oriented service culture to ensure crew and guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
Guest Promise Delivery
• Plan, and manage cruise layouts together with respective Department Heads and ensure that execution is accurate and efficient, in line with Viking’s Star Service Standards.
• Plan and oversee all Entertainment/Shop’s/Concessionaire’s/Food and Beverage (F&B) events with respective Department Heads. Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards; ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
• Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
• Demonstrate visible leadership and interact with guests and crew alike, in accordance with Viking’s STAR Service Standard.
• Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; meet with Team Leaders on a daily basis for “The Daily Reunion”, to provide feedback & operational updates as well as to ensure that your department is performing to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
• Ensure that the necessary guidance/training and information to the all crew onboard, in accordance with company standards and operational needs.
• Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring MLC compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
• Be familiar with the Human Resources Manual & Shipboard Training; have an in-depth understanding of the working hours policies & procedures in accordance to Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) 2006; be familiar with crew contracts and work schedule hours/week.
• Oversee the management and control of sales of shore excursions, future cruises and tour dispatches.
• Together with the Executive Chef, coordinate cruise-based menu layouts and ensure that all F&B events and presentations are up to Viking’s high-quality standards.
• Ensure cost control and adhere to set budgets by overseeing the entire ship’s on-board finances. This includes but not limited to inventories, forecasts, purchase orders and the ship’s accounts.
• Oversee and manage the vessel clearance and dis/embarkation.
• Oversee the vacation planning and internal promotions for the entire Hotel Department, together with Departments Heads and the HR Manager.
• Work closely with Department Heads and purchasing to ensure that sufficient amounts of produce and stock are available onboard at all times and ensure that produce and stock are in line with given targets and guest count.
• Align crew attitudes to corporate objectives; positively contribute to achieving/succeeding goals (quality & financial) for all departments; have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
• Ensure that relevant crew always wears Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) during relevant activities (e.g. loading). Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
• Ensure the absolute cleanliness and order of the vessel, in accordance with all Public Health Policies and Procedures.
This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
• A required minimum of 5 years plus experience as a Hotel Manager; shipboard experience is a must.
• A diploma from an internationally recognized hotel school is required; craft training or equivalent is preferred.
• Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral and written English communication skills – the ability to speak an additional language is an advantage.
• Strong administration skills are preferred and must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player.
• Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, motivational skills and coaching abilities.
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS & AT WILL EMPLOYMENT:
• Ability to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States
• Ability to work as necessary in order to complete all assigned tasks and fulfill responsibilities as the Hotel Manager
• Ability to meet moderate physical demands, including lifting, bending, climbing, and long periods of standing or walking
• Ability to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for Marijuana and other controlled substances. We are a Drug Free Workplace.
• Viking Cruises is an At-Will Employer. As such your, employment with Viking is a voluntary one and is subject to termination with or without cause or notice, at any time by you or Viking . Nothing in this document or in any oral or written statement shall be interpreted to conflict with or limit the right to terminate employment at-will.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
• Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
• Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
• The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment
Viking is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Viking Cruises was founded by Chairman Torstein Hagen in 1997. The company established headquarters in Los Angeles, California in 2000 and through rapid expansion has enjoyed double-digit growth in recent years.
With operational headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, Viking provides travel experiences for guests with an interest in geography, culture and history. Each journey includes daily shore excursions, and an exclusive Culture Curriculum program that provides destination immersion through music performances, cooking demonstrations, informative port talks and guest lecturers.
Viking River Cruises award-winning Longships offer a variety of stateroom categories and true two-room suites with verandas. Onboard amenities include a restaurant, bar & lounge, library and expansive sun deck. Itineraries range from 8 to 23 days and feature the rivers of Europe, Russia, Egypt, China, and Southeast Asia.
In 2015, Viking introduced its first award-winning ocean ship with the 930-guest Viking Star. Sister ship Viking Sea joined the fleet in 2016, along with Viking Sky and Viking Sun in 2017. By 2028 Viking will have a fleet of sixteen ocean ships, making it the largest small ship ocean cruise line. Each ship boasts a veranda in every stateroom, a choice of restaurants, an infinity pool, a Nordic-inspired spa, panoramic Explorers’ Lounge, and more. Itineraries range from 8 to 141 days and feature destinations such as Scandinavia and the Baltic, the Mediterranean, the British Isles, and the Caribbean.