Descrizione del lavoro
W Melbourne is the rebel between the streets, taking its design cues from Australia’s cultural capital and providing the back-lane entrance keys to what’s New/Next in the city. Extending the laneway culture inside, 294 bold rooms and suites peel back the layers and revel in the city’s history. There are five electric and daring bars and restaurants within the hotel, plus over 800 square metres of ultra-modern event space. W Melbourne is set to be the place to see and be seen in.
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a life less ordinary that drives them to demand more, experience it all, and hit repeat.
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox. Retox. Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.
The Music Curator will play an integral role in driving the energy behind music at W Melbourne on a day-to-day basis. They will use their experience as a DJ and connection within the music industry to create an electric atmosphere and attract the right crowd across five dynamic venues, meetings and events spaces and an annual calendar of Happenings.
Reporting into the Director of Beverage and Food and working with the Marketing team, you will assist in promoting W Melbourne as a place to steal the scene in. High-level responsibilities will include managing and creating music programming (personally DJing, plus DJ and performer sourcing and scheduling), assisting with the planning of Happenings, and being the face and voice of the hotel’s passion for music. The successful candidate will have their finger on the pulse, remaining ahead of latest trends and what is new/next, ensuring W Melbourne is always at the forefront of creating epic moments that inspire our guests to go further, go longer and hit repeat.
CAST KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The position’s primary function is to not only provide music for all venues but also to interact with guests during a shift, giving the overall sense of “connection” while on duty. The W Music Curator shall be responsible for coordinating the transition of the regular house music system to his/her performance music and that of guest DJs and performers, then back again at the end of each shift. The W Music Curator will need to understand an audience and the situation and be able to adjust the style of music if necessary.
Additionally, the W Music Curator shall be responsible for planning happenings and daily music schedules, liaising with other performers, negotiating their fees and ensuring their music style suits W Melbourne and ensure that entertainers are performing to contracted schedules, that their grooming and presentation is of an acceptable standard.
The W Music Curator should take responsibility for other aspects of daily performances and larger happenings such as lighting levels, sound equipment quality and maintenance, staging if required etc.
In order to execute the above tasks, the W Music Curator must have reliable and trustworthy contacts within the music and entertainment community both domestically and abroad.
The W Music Curator should understand the meaning and implications of proper control of operating expenses, wages and benefits and use sound financial analysis.
The W Music Curator shall perform a minimum of three (3) days per week, when and where required, at the discretion of the Director of B&F.
- Any combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Experience working in a music lifestyle-related business or environment would be a positive attribute.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Remain up to date on all the latest trends in the international music, arts and performance arts scene.
- Knowledge of music events in Melbourne, Australia and beyond.
- Must have full knowledge of sound systems and all other relevant equipment.
- Must be adaptable to different music and performance styles.
- Must have a clear understanding of working with event companies.
- Must be able to assist guest artist/performers with technical set ups, sound checks and the overall quality of a set up for a music happening or event.
- This is a senior management position and the W Music Curator’s conduct and leadership should reflect that status.
Adaptability - Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
Communication - Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behaviour; and models active listening to ensure understanding.
Problem Solving and Decision Making - Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Professional Demeanour - Exhibits behavioural styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
Building and Contributing to Teams - Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively acts and goes beyond what is required.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Co-worker Relationships - Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company’s service standards.
- Global Mindset - Supports talent and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures that all talent is given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
- Applied Learning - Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others
- Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.