With thousands of hotels in over 100 countries and territories, Hilton offers countless opportunities to delight. From an open door to a welcoming smile and an exceptional experience, we offer the millions of travellers who stay with us every year a welcome they will never forget. In addition to our flagship brand, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, the family of brands includes Waldorf Astoria, LXR, Conrad, Canopy, Curio Collection, DoubleTree, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton and many others.
If you appreciate the impact global travel can have on the world, you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Hilton Team Member. Because it’s with Hilton where we never forget the reason we're here: to delight our guests, Team Members, and owners alike.
A Chief Steward oversees and directs all aspects of stewarding operation under the general guidance and supervision of the Executive Chef within the established policies and procedures of Hilton. He / she directs the efforts and activities in the stewarding section to ensure quality standard of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation of all kitchen areas, equipment and utensils are maintained at all times, leading to guest satisfaction, employee satisfaction and profit for the hotel. What will I be doing?
As the Chief Steward, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
What are we looking for?
- Maintain high customer service focus with customers in mind.
- Have a positive attitude, take responsibility and initiative to resolve issues as well as communicate clearly with customers and colleagues.
- Responsible for guiding Steward Supervisors and Stewards in their jobs.
- Control and analyze cleanliness standard for kitchen areas, banquet rooms (back of the house), equipment, utensils, guests and team satisfaction, operating supplies, cleaning supplies, payroll, related costs, breakage and loss.
- Responsible for implementing a detailed cleaning program as scheduled, monitoring the results of each action.
- Keep up to date with new cleaning supplies, equipment, trends and systems in stewarding.
- Assist the stewards during operations.
- Responsible for the proper handling and maintenance of all equipment in the kitchen, storing and safekeeping all flatware, glassware, hollowware, utensils and related equipment.
- Ensure all cleaning supplies and equipment are sufficiently stocked.
- Maintain and update the steward operating manual, chemical charts and cleaning chart for the team’s reference.
- Prepare and monitor the requisition of all chemicals and equipment.
- Report all accidents and incidents.
- Conduct and prepare the monthly operating equipment inventory.
- Report and monitor the breakage and loss report for operating equipment.
- Prepare purchase requisition for operating equipment and cleaning supplies.
- Coordinate with the Engineering department for the preventive maintenance system for exhaust, drainage, burners, fryers, refrigerators, freezers and other major equipment.
- Inspect all stewarding supplies and equipment received, according to the established specification.
- Ensure that the level of sanitation in all areas of the kitchen, canteen, and storerooms are up to sanitation standards.
- Check daily that all kitchen equipment and cleaning equipment are in safe and good working condition.
- Update and review cleaning products, purchase specifications and cleaning methods to ensure the highest possible standard at all times.
- Gives direction and check set-up of buffet set in the outlet and banquet functions.
- Provide active supervision during the implementation of cleaning schedules.
- Monitor the daily, weekly and monthly banquet functions, outlet promotions and activities, to plan for provision of equipment and manpower.
- Acquire contact from various hotels in the city to secure additional equipment for big functions and events.
- Knowledgeable on fire safety and security procedures in relation to stewarding operations.
- Knowledgeable of all job description in stewarding section and capable of performing the tasks as required.
- Check and maintain the sanitation level of the garbage room, both wet and dry.
- Coordinate with Finance and Security in processing disposal sales.
- Actively seek verbal feedback from customers and team members during service period.
- Assist in the restaurant and bar during busy days or special events.
- Knowledgeable of departmental standards and able to explain the standards to team members.
- Assess team members’ performance against departmental standards.
- Describe, assign and delegate duties and authority for stewarding operations.
- Plan ahead and ensure adequate resources are available.
- Ensure shifts are reviewed, handovers and briefings are carried out.
- Establish good communication and teamwork within the kitchen team and others.
- Keep the team up to date about departmental, hotel, company activities, special events and restaurant promotions through regular communication meetings and memos.
- Assist with selecting, training, coaching and developing team members to meet current and future needs of the department and the hotel.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of customers and all team members.
- The Management reserves the right to make changes to this job description at its sole discretion and without advance notice.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A Chief Steward serving Hilton Brands is always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviours, skills, and values that follow:
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience in a 5-star category hotel.
- At least 3 year of Assistant Chief Steward experience in an international brand hotel.
- Possess a valid health certificate.
- Able to train and motivate team members.
- Able to set priorities and complete tasks efficiently.
- Work well in stressful situations, remain calm under pressure and able to solve problems.
- Able to work in a moist, hot and sometimes loud environment.
- Guide and direct the Stewarding team to perform at their best level in terms of quality, hygiene and profitability.
- Flexible, responds quickly and positively to changing requirements including the performance of any tasks requested of you.
- Maintain high team focus by showing co-operation and support to colleagues in the pursuit of team goals.
- Approach all tasks with enthusiasm and seize opportunities to learn new skills or knowledge in order to improve personal performance.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledgeable in HACCP.
- Good command in English, both verbal and written to meet business needs, preferred.
- Working experience within Hilton Group, advantageous.
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travellers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!