Descrizione del lavoro
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the worlds’ finest hotels. The Group operates luxury hotels in key leisure and business destinations. In total Mandarin Oriental employs 9,000 colleagues in three continents with 13 hotels in Asia, eight in North America and six in Europe
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Washington epitomizes grand elegance and is within walking distance of the nation’s most cherished monuments, Capitol Hill, and the revered museums of the Smithsonian Institution. Ranked by Institutional Investor magazine as one of the top 100 hotels in the world, Mandarin Oriental, Washington DC creates memorable experiences for any traveler to the most powerful city in the world.
It is the mission and intent of this position that the incumbent will take full responsibility for the Management and Leadership and ensure smooth running of food production operations and maintain standards within budget and culinary areas
Scope of Position
Daily communication between all Culinary/F&B/operational department is very essential. Internal & external communication is of utmost importance. Respect and communication will promote an excellent environment in which to work and will provide for your guests a welcome feeling. You are expected to be a “team player,” anticipate guest needs, and provide guests & colleagues with a friendly experience. Work with the Spirit of cooperation to achieve our Goals
The Banquet Chef reports to the Director of Food & Beverage while overseeing the culinary operation in Banquets and assisting in all F&B Outlets.
Garde Manger Cooks
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
- Lead and provide essential vision to the culinary operation. Deliver quality to guests and satisfaction to the colleagues though learning and development, team building and interaction. The Banquet Chef is responsible for the Banquets and culinary operation as well as financial responsibilities to our shareholders and corporate offices
- Prepare in accordance with quality, availability and seasonality and ensure market lists are completed on a daily and weekly basis
- Plan, coordinate and supervise all menu planning and implementation
- Ensure food standards and presentation are maintained and always improved
- Organize food production in a cost effective and hygienic manner
- Attend meetings as required
- Assist the Purchasing Department with the purchase of all food items and kitchen equipment
- Be responsible for recruitment, training, and discipline of kitchen staff
- Constantly strive to improve operating procedures
- Be responsible for and accountable for the departmental operating budget
- Find ways to improve the efficiency of the operations that will benefit our clients
- Find ways of maximizing and increasing sales and/or yield (in revenue centers)
- Find methods of reducing costs without affecting the level of service or product received by the guests
- Responsible to adhering to HACCP and Safe & Sound Safety procedures of the company
- Propose, and initiate when approved, new services and products for our guests
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the department head from time to time
- Oversees discipline of culinary employees
- Use the Employee Handbook in understanding the consistent way of Communicating Rules & Regulation to our Team.
- Understand and follow union collective bargaining agreement
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures
- Develop Job descriptions for the culinary team
- Being an effective listener, before acting is essential. (Seek to understand)
- Conduct Daily meetings (lineups) with team
- Controlling & being accountable to the effort in achieving both Food & Labor Cost Goal
- Control food cost by maintaining food standards at reasonable cost through liaison with the Purchasing Department to check prices, market price fluctuation, quality, etc.
- Weekly Schedules approval process
- Daily Payroll correction, include final payroll submitting
- Forecasting/Weekly/Monthly/Actual versus Forecast
- Possess a good written and verbal command of the English Language.
- Possess a pleasant and outgoing personality
Requirement on Core Competencies
The incumbent will require the following personal attributes:
1. Delighting our clients
⦁ Awareness and sensitivity to the concept of luxury and quality.
⦁ Responsive and genuine with customers.
⦁ Sustains performance.
⦁ Confident with customers.
2. Working with Colleagues
⦁ Communicates a compelling vision.
⦁ Inspires co-operation and commitment.
⦁ Adapts work style and ethics appropriately.
⦁ Actively listens and builds on other ideas.
⦁ Effectively understands and uses resources.
⦁ Is culturally sensitive.
⦁ Good written and verbal skills.
⦁ Maintain excellence in leadership abilities
3. Promoting a Climate of Enthusiasm
⦁ Has energy and drive.
⦁ A sense of urgency.
⦁ Motivating individual.
⦁ Communicates clearly.
⦁ Open to feedback and learning.
⦁ Possess potential to grow.
4. Being the Best
⦁ Achievement orientated.
⦁ Makes things happen.
⦁ Has presence.
⦁ Has positive impact and influence.
⦁ Generates, innovative options.
⦁ Adapts plans to suit change.
⦁ Seeks continuous improvement opportunities.
5. Delivering Shareholder Value
⦁ Takes a helicopter view and keeps in focus.
⦁ Understands and knows the business market.
⦁ Clearly understands effective operating of a hotel.
⦁ Develops and implements strategy.
⦁ Adapts strategies to changes.
⦁ Aligns plans to strategies.
⦁ Continuously seeks new opportunities.
6. Playing by the Rules
⦁ Operates ethically.
⦁ High level of personal integrity.
7. Acting with Responsibility
⦁ Can identify core issues and problems.
⦁ Emotionally stable and mature.
⦁ Accepts feedback.
⦁ Coaches’ others.
⦁ Manages responsibilities.
Education and Training
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Two-year degree or Apprenticeship
- Up to Date Sanitation Classes
Preferred Experience and Skill Requirements
- Minimum of six years in the luxury hotel culinary business
- Minimum of four years Management Experience as a Restaurant Chef, Executive Sous Chef, Banquet Chef or Executive Chef
- Must meet the necessary requirements to work in the U.S.
- Experience operating in a union environment preferred
Mental Capacity and Organizational Skill Requirements
- Thorough knowledge or Gastronomy
- Working knowledge of beverages
- Extensive knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Working knowledge of mathematics for recipes, ordering, and financial research purposes
- Working knowledge of computers and basic software
- Ability to dictate responsibility, pay attention to detail, handle multiple tasks and show a high level of patience
- Stand/Walk 8 – 12 hours a day
- Sit 8 - 12 hours a day
Occasionally = 1/3 of the workday, frequently = 2/3 of the workday
- Lift or Carry 0-20 pounds frequently
- Lift or Carry 21-50 pounds occasionally
- Lift or Carry 51-100 pounds occasionally
- Bend frequently
- Squat frequently
- Kneel occasionally
- Climb occasionally
- Reach above shoulders occasionally
- Perform repetitive hand motions frequently
Other Physical Requirements
- Ability to stand and work in continuously in confined spaces for long periods of time
- Possess Sufficient dexterity to use all kitchen equipment
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, walk, push, and pull heavy equipment for long periods of time
- Ability to perform all duties in extreme temperature ranges
- Indoors frequently
- Outdoors occasionally
Advertised: 24 Nov 2021 US Eastern Standard Time