The aim of this award is to provide relevant, professional education for students on all aspects of the planning, marketing and management of events and public relations programmes in this multifaceted industry.
What you will learn
Four-year honours degree, based at GMIT Galway campus. Includes a 30 week work placement.
What will I study?
• Communication and Customer Care
• Learning Innovation Skills
• Introduction to Business Law
• Introduction to Accounting and Business Maths
• Sports Event Management
• Introduction to Event Studies
• Event Operations
• Event Risk Management
• Introduction to Public Relations
• Wedding Planning
• Information and Communication Technology
• Conference and Exhibition Management
• Financial Accounting
• Marketing Principles
• Management Information Systems
• Introduction to Economics
• Employment Law
• Public Relation Techniques
• Management Accounting
• Corporate Entertainment
• Management Principles
• Event Software Applications
• Language and Culture
• Work Placement
• Event Planning Management
• Public Relations Management
• Human Resource Management
• Services Marketing
• Financial Management
• Multimedia Applications
• Digital Media Technologies
• Event Project Management
• Public Relations Project
• Event Strategy & Policy
• Innovation & Enterprise
• International Perspectives of Festivals and Events
• Business Plan
• Performance Management
• Marketing Management
• Research Methodology
• Ethics & Governance
• Web Design & Publishing
• Destination & Resort Management
• Language & Culture
Students may select elective modules each semester to enhance their learning and skills.
-Upon completion of exams in year two, students undertake an accredited thirty week industrial placement. This placement is organised by the LINKS office in conjunction with the student.
-If students are considering an international career, the college would encourage students to study an international language during their three years of study and to complete their international placement in a location that supports the development of the language.
Who is the course for?
What are my career opportunities?
Graduates can expect to find employment in a variety of event, PR and entertainment enterprises including:
◾Conference and convention centres
◾Charitable non-profit organisations
◾National and regional tourism organisations
◾Public relations firms
◾Event management agencies
◾Sports and leisure centres
◾Community development organisations
◾Arts and music festivals
◾Public sector organisations
GMIT honours (Level 8) qualifications are recognised worldwide for postgraduate
The College has extensive international links with hotels, tourism organisations and educational organisations and is an active member of the Association of Irish Festival Events (AOIFE).